1949 Buick Super Starter Button and steel body mount replacement

Guest davidc1966

Guest davidc1966

Hi All,

Last week I asked about the removal of the ignition switch for my 49 Buick and you all were spot on. Took the door lock out as recommended and had a key made. Works perfectly! Now, being that this my first 49 Buick I am embarrased to say that I can't figure out where the starter button is. There is a button directly below the switch, but when I push it nothing happens. I am hitting the right button? Is there one?

My second question is the steel body mounts under in front of the rear fender wells and behind the front fender wells are in need of repair. Is there any replacements being made? Does the 49 Chevy replacements work?

Turn the key straight up to ON and step on the gas...about half way. The switch is on the carb. Someone may have added an aftermarket starter switch. If that's the case you will need to figure out how they wired it.

I doubt that anything from a 49 Chevy would work without major fabrication.

Dave is correct. 1949 Buicks do not have starter buttons, unless someone added them after-market. If the starter switch on the carburetor doesn't activate the starter when you step on the accelerator pedal, then it probably just needs to be take apart and the internal parts and copper contacts cleaned.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1949 model 51

1949 model 59

and other Buicks.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)