Tail light bulbs

Guest Dave May

Guest Dave May

Hello,...I've got a 1960 Buick and have been having a problem getting my passenger side rear brake light to work. The taillight and turn signal works on this side, but the brake light does not. The driver side brake, tail and turn signal light all work.

The wiring and socket look fine and I've replaced the bulb a couple of times now with no success. I've been told that the old sockets are a bit tempermental and sometimes don't match up with the modern bulbs??. Is there a certain brand of bulbs that seem to do better in the old systems???? I believe the bulb is a #1034.

Thanks

I don't think it is the socket. Since the taillight and turn signal work, that indicates you have a good ground and the taillight is one contact and the turn signal is the other, that indicates that both contacts are working, then your problem is further upstream.

I suspect the turn signal switch.

When you checked the power at the contact ends with a meter did you have 12 volts when each light was activated? When you switched the meter to measure ohms did you have continuity from the bulb socket to the negative post of the battery?

I have a 30 foot wire with alligator clips to make a home run to the battery post when I troubleshoot a possible loss of body/chassis grounds.

Bernie