1988 Reatta Tail Lights Out

Guest marcelosm

Guest marcelosm

Ran into another problem yesterday trying to get the Reatta to pass inspection. I'm not sure if it just occurred because I hadn't noticed before, but my tail lights don't come on when I have my lights on. I pulled the carpet back and check to see if the ground was good and it was, nice and tight and seems like it was never messed with. Is there a fuse that controls this light? What would be the best place to start troubleshooting?

Guest marcelosm

When you say check it do you mean check if it is not blown? It isn't blown. I got my voltmeter and checked the voltage running through that fuse and it was around 11.5 volts if I remember correctly.

Guest marcelosm

The brake and signal lights do work. I think one of the parking lights doesn't work (I had figured a blow light bulb). The light under the hood does not work.

Guest Mc_Reatta

I'm not sure you answered Ronnie's question about the front parking lights working.

Knowing this will focus attention away from the fuse and headlight switch and onto the power and ground connections at the rear.

Guest marcelosm

I just got the chance to check and when I put the parking lights on the tail lights turn on. When I turn the parking lights off though they turn back off, even if I have the other lights on. So that means that they are indeed receiving power and so the wiring isn't bad?

Edited by marcelosm (see edit history)

I just got the chance to check and when I put the parking lights on the tail lights turn on. When I turn the parking lights off though they turn back on, even if I have the other lights on. So that means that they are indeed receiving power and so the wiring isn't bad?
Could you rephrase that please. It is confusing to me.

Guest PontiacDude210

Let's have some clarity. List what happens with just the parking lights on being careful to differentiate tail lights from brake lights. List what happens with the headlights on as well. Perhaps fog lamp function is causing some confusion?

Guest marcelosm

Okay I'm sorry for being unclear. I will do my best to be as clear as I possibly can be.

there is no problem with the brake lights or turn signals under any condition

the tail lights do not work when my headlights are turned on.

the tail lights do turn on (along with the rest of the parking lights) when I click the parking light button on the dash that is under the headlight button.

I hope that clarifies what I meant. Once again, apologies for the miscommunication. I'm was at work trying to sneak messages between customers.

(Edited my posts for more clarity)