Rear caliper leak

Guest jimmyk

Guest jimmyk

I replaced both rear calipers. Left side was dragging the pads. Right side bleeder broke off. Now They are leaking at the banjo bolt. I have tried two different sets of the copper washers and they are still dripping. Any suggestions what to try next?

Are you using 2 copper washers each, one on each side? Install the bolt without one washer to see if the bolt tries to bottom before getting tight. If it leaves the line loose, add another washer for total of 3. The threads may not be deep enough or the bolts don't match the caliper. ?????

Guest jimmyk

Texasjohn55, I will check the depth of the caliper threads. Now I remember that there were three washers on the banjo bolts. I thought it was a PO goof and only replaced with two washer. Hopefully an easy fix.

Edited by jimmyk (see edit history)

I've never removed or replaced any more than two copper washers on any caliper. One on each side of the hose end block. If you are using the original banjo bolt and hose and only two copper washers came off when disassembled, there should be no reason to add more washers unless the replacement ones are thinner. I don't know why that would be unless you got the wrong replacement washers.

Just my 2 cents.

OK... I just re-read your post. I see that you said there were three washers on when you disassembled it. I still don't know why there would be three there. Sumpin ain't rite.

John F.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

I'm with John F on this one. You don't have the end properly oriented onto the caliper. If you look at how the two faces are machined and the line is offset, you will see only one side will fit flush to the caliper face, and how the hole is oriented, it will only line up in one way and have the line pointing in the right direction..

Guest jimmyk

OK, found that the banjo bolt was bottoming out. I used three washers, two on top of the brake hose block and one underneath it. Looks like that has solved the leak. The hose oriented correctly, I had already double-checked that.