Plymouth PA . Engine trouble please help

Guest Nemesis

Guest Nemesis

Hi guys

Ive got my self a pretty good barnfind here in Denmark !

Its a 1931 PA 2 door sedan proably built for the european market since speedo is in Kilometers not Miles pr. hour.

Almost everything is working on it still but on inspection of the engine today i forund more that i wanted i the oil sump.... First of all large amounts of babbit ...a clogged mesh on the oil pickup and a piece of metal that im not sure where came from ..... For that i need help !

It looks at first glance a part of a broken valve but it shouldnt end in the sump and there are no seat on the edge of it .... What is it ?post-96419-143142394752_thumb.jpg

I also need to get the accelerator pump working on the DRT-8 carb ....but that doesnt seem important right now .

post-96419-143142394741_thumb.jpg

post-96419-143142394748_thumb.jpg

Hi guys

Ive got my self a pretty good barnfind here in Denmark !

Its a 1931 PA 2 door sedan proably built for the european market since speedo is in Kilometers not Miles pr. hour.

Almost everything is working on it still but on inspection of the engine today i forund more that i wanted i the oil sump.... First of all large amounts of babbit ...a clogged mesh on the oil pickup and a piece of metal that im not sure where came from ..... For that i need help !

It looks at first glance a part of a broken valve but it shouldnt end in the sump and there are no seat on the edge of it .... What is it ?[ATTACH=CONFIG]235186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235187[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235188[/ATTACH]

I also need to get the accelerator pump working on the DRT-8 carb ....but that doesnt seem important right now .

That looks very much like a piece of tappet / cam follower, the part that rides on the cam lobe; its location would allow it to fall straight into the sump if it broke.

I would imagine that you could expect further damage to a cam lobe and possibly a pushrod, if you already have the sump off you should be able to see the damage as you look up to the camshaft from underneath.

The fact that you also have debris at the oil pump screen would indicate that the whole of the oil system is contaminated, in other words there is a very good chance that the crank bearings etc. could be damaged by the debris, at the very least I would recommend an engine strip down and lube system flush out.

Guest Nemesis
Meant to add also, I would remove the side plate just to see if there are any issues with the valve train.

You where spot on ive found the follower and the cam must be made of kryptonite .. It looks perfect :-)

Ok so the next part is where to find a follower ,bearings and a gasket set ???? There must be someone that has parts for these old ladies !

Thanks Tommy

Try www.egge.com , www.hagensautoparts.com , www.kanter.com , www.ply33.com for lots of detailed information on all early Plymouths.

With respect to the information I have on my web site, you'll find it at http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group9#9-41-04

Looks like the tappet assemblies were used on a variety of late 1920s and early 1930s cars.