Oil for 52 Coronet

Guest DougBen

Guest DougBen

I recently purchased a 52 Coronet with supposedly 5650 original miles. Can' t confirm that yet. My question is what type of oil to use. After I got it I changed oil and used modern 20w50. Since then the car smokes a bit and burns oil. Some recommend non detergent 30w and others say stick with modern detergent oil. I'm looking for opinions.

I don't have opinions, only facts. 20W50 is as good as anything for your motor.

Modern multigrade detergent oils were first put on the market in 1951. 10W30 was the default choice for oil changes at every service station and dealership in the fifties, sixties, seventies, and eighties. Chances are your car has never used anything else.

If the mileage is really that low there is a chance the rings are stuck in their grooves. Simply driving the car may free them up, especially if you add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas and oil, or pour some down the spark plug holes and let it soak in.

If the mileage is actually 105000 the engine is worn out and due for a rebuild. Normal life for those engines was 80000 to 100000 miles if they were well maintained, with average maintenance or less they could wear out in less than 80000.

You will certainly see the difference on the car if you look it over carefully. High miles means torn, worn out, saggy upholstery. Loose door hinges, worn out pedal pads, worn paint on the window edges. Look for old lube stickers on the door post, they have the mileage and date on them.

If it really is that low a mileage vehicle I would tune up the engine, lube the chassis, generally service the car according to the owner's manual and factory repair manual , and drive it. Take it easy and work your way up from a 10 mile drive, to 50 or 100 miles at a stretch. Fix any problems that crop up.

By the time you put a few hundred miles on it the engine should settle down and stop burning oil. By the way a quart in 500 miles was considered normal in those days. Very few engines would go 1000 miles without adding oil.

Don't listen to the bullshit put out by self styled experts. Most of these bozos don't know what they are talking about. This board is a genuine source of knowledge with hundreds of years of combined experience, but even here you can get a bad tip once in a while. Even so, this is the best place to get good answers about an old car.

Guest DougBen

Thanks. I've actually put almost 2000 miles on since I got it and it does use about a quart every 500 miles. The car appears original with good interior and paint and little wear. I actually bought the car at a used car dealer of all places. A few months later I had a chance meeting with the previous owner who claimed the mileage to be original. Of course he had no documentation so I'll just keep driving and enjoying it. thanks again.

It your dodge does have low original 5600 miles on the odometer the brake and clutch pedals should still have very defined rubber rib lines on them, the door latches should click and latch shut with a light push, really nice clean non worn rubber floor mat and the engine oil pressure should be over 45LBS cold and hot at all times.

The engine also should be relatively free of any excessive external grease on the original silver paint.

As Rusty says rings could be stuck but...with that low mileage there cannot be too much sludge. I'd pull the drain plug and stick my finger in the hole and see how much sludge is at the bottom of the pan.

About 35 years ago a dealer as I recall in Texas sold off a bunch of 50's Mopars including a medium metallic blue 1953 Plymouth 2 door club coupe I have seen a couple times at auctions.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

With 2000 miles the engine should be running about as well as it ever will, provided it is tuned up. These days not many people are aware that older cars need attention to the spark plugs, points, valves and carburetor every 10000 miles or so.

Do you have the original owners manual? It lays out the service requirements. Your car requires more service than a modern car but it is not difficult or expensive to do. If it is maintained properly and used sympathetically your car should give you good service for 100000 miles or more and as many years as you wish.

You may get a kick out of this saga of a similar car, a 1951 DeSoto 8 passenger sedan by the original owner. At the time of writing he had put over 180,000 miles on it thanks to regular service and overhauls.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/suburban-1951.html

Guest DougBen

Thanks for the help. Sorry if I came across as inexperienced but I do have a bit of experience with these flatheads. I recently sold a 49 1st series D-24 that I've had for 12 years so I do understand the maintenance issues. I've just never had anything with this low mileage and I'm second guessing myself. I learned to drive on a 52 Coronet in 1978 that my parents had bought new and were still using as a second car so this car has sentimental value to me.