49 dodge gryo-matic problem

Guest 49coronet

Guest 49coronet

I bought a 49 dodge coronet which drove fine in town at 30 mph when I test drove it. Once I towed it home and started going through the car I found out it has a gyro matic trans. There are several problems so I'll start with no wires to the transmission or carb. It has a ball and ball carb which I cannot find anywhere to hook up wires to. Do I need a stromburg carb to make the gyro matic trans work like it should or can the ball and ball carb be altered somehow or do I have other oprions to make the trans work like it should ? Oh and the person I bought it from did a 12v conversion on the car!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Some Dodges had a Fluid Drive with a 3 speed manual trans. Could yours be one of those?

Gyromatic was Dodge's name for the M6 self shifting transmission I believe. An M6 equipped car had 2 electrical switches built into the carb.

Carter Ball & Ball or B&B carb was used on Plymouth DeSoto and Chrysler.

It seems someone changed carbs to one off a manual trans car. Or your car has the manual trans. Are there any electrical wires on the right side of the trans? M6 has a switch, a governor and a solenoid all wired thru the carb switches.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest 49coronet

Rusty, Yes mine has all the electronics on the trans but none on the carb. I think they have swapped out the carb at some point leaving me wonder if I need to find a carb that has the electrical hookups or if I have other options

The easiest option would be to buy the right carburetor. If you don't want to do this, you might be able to jimmy up a couple of switches.

One is "on" when the throttle is completely closed, it controls the shift. The other is "on" when the throttle is completely open, it controls the kickdown. I have thought of installing switches on the throttle linkage bellcrank but found it easier to get the right carburetor.

Guest 49coronet

Thanks that was my thought process too on just getting the correct carb. I am assuming it is the stromburg BXVES-3. I have been looking online but haven't had much luck yet finding it.