Timing issue, 56 Windsor

I removed the distributor from my 331 for service taking a pic with my cellphone before noting the orientation of the rotor, problem is my phone went south after that & I had to do "a factory reset" on the phone. I got back MOST of my pics but not all. Guess which is one of the missing? Soooooo. is it possible to have the distributor in wrong (180o) & have the car want to start but never quite catching I THINK I have it in right but if an "almost start" is possible I may have it wrong.

Confused? me to

Thanks

Torry

I removed the distributor from my 331 for service taking a pic with my cellphone before noting the orientation of the rotor, problem is my phone went south after that & I had to do "a factory reset" on the phone. I got back MOST of my pics but not all. Guess which is one of the missing? Soooooo. is it possible to have the distributor in wrong (180o) & have the car want to start but never quite catching I THINK I have it in right but if an "almost start" is possible I may have it wrong.

Confused? me to

Thanks

Torry

One way to check is by removing the rocker covers and checking that both inlet and exhaust valves on #1 are loose (ie have clearance) when the pointer is aligned on the TDC pulley mark and the distributor rotor is pointing to #1 plug lead. If you have installed it 180 out then the valves on #6 will be loose and valves on #1 will be rocking as you reach the TDC mark, by rocking I mean the inlet will be opening and exhaust closing.

Or pull number one spark plug and put your hand over the opening and have some one bump the starter until it starts to compress. Then look to the harmonic balancer and bring it up to TDC. Then align the distributor rotor to number one plug wire.