1953 Chrysler New Yorker

Guest Jonathan Pace

Guest Jonathan Pace

Just trying to verify the type of fluid to be used in the Fluid Torque Drive and the 4 speed transmission. The torque converter is independent of the engine oil as found in the 6 cyl. My car has the 331 V8. The manual says to use 10W oil in both. It doesn't specify non-detergent but I assume that would be the spec. I have seen references to the use of ISO 32 Tractor hydraulic fluid. Since 10W non-detergent oil is hard to find has anyone had good luck with the ISO32?

Thanks,

Jon

I have used the ISO32 to top up and others have been using it longer than I have. ISO22 is better if you can find it. Have also added Molyslip to the oil in the trans, I thought it would be good for the pump and synchros, it did not seem to affect the operation of the trans but it is supposed to eliminate wear.

There are several informative threads on the Fluid Drive and semi auto trans if you do a search.

Guest Jonathan Pace

Thanks for the info Rusty. How about a source for pan gaskets. I want to get in there and clean and inspect and will need new gaskets. Another problem I am having is a leaking power steering pump. Do you know of a rebuild kit for the pump? This car sat in a barn for 37 years and has everything original with 44,000 miles. It's all working but needs help.

Guest Jonathan Pace

This is turning out to be quite an adventure. I drained the torque converter and reservoir and found "milk'. I removed the reservoir from the unit in order to clean it and found there is no gasket, only o-rings where the oil lines connect from the oil cooler. Inside the oil cooler that mounts to the water pump is a heat exchanger that the trans oil passes through. Coolant is entering the exchanger and mixing with the trans oil. Now looking for a replacement transmission oil cooler. This could be difficult! I talked to Dan at Liberty Automotive and he thinks he can source a seal kit for the P/S pump. All I can say is this is not like restoring a '70 Chevelle.