39 crankshaft

zephyrdave

Never done this but I've heard that using a threaded stud thru the center of the journal and either plug is a way to install the plugs. I think I would squeeze the 2 sides together pretty tight to dimple/tighten the plugs and seal with loctite. There might be a hydraulic "squeezer" with fingers thin enough to squeeze these plugs in? Ford flatheads cranks have these plugs so there must be an accepted way to install them? These plugs in V12 cranks are a source of trouble and you might consider using a post-war crankshaft as they have drilled, larger (3/16") oil passages and no plugs. You do have to use the 26H connecting rods and machine off the pilot bearing hub at the rear of the crank if you want to use your prewar solid flywheel.

A bolt and nut screwed together so it can be expanded, thus pressing into crank...It took me a few boxes of plugs to find enough to fit "nice'

since then, I changed my crank... and use postwar!! as well as the flex flywheel which is supposed to be an update for better engine wear..