Dual-Groove front crank pulley - 264 Engine

Fred Zwicker

I am doing a restoration on my 1954 Buick Special Hard Top and am changing from manual to power steering. I have a power steering unit and pump, but need a dual-groove cast iron crank pulley for the 264 engine. Will pay more than a reasonable price, and am offering a $50 finder's fee if someone can route me to a source. Thanks,

Fritz, are you sure you need the "front" crank pulley and not the "rear"? he he he sorry 'bout that, just a little sarcastic humor left over from April Fools Day.

Looks like conversion of my lil BlueBird Special daily driver to power steering has been moved down a few notches on my Buick to do list so give me your address and I'll send you a pulley. And hopefully I speak for everyone here when I say we don't charge no "finder's fees" here. ;)It's all about helping our Buick buds and paying it forward out here on the Buick Highway. :)

Yes - A big thanks to Mr. Earl. I have been in contact with Lamar, and he is going to furnish his pulley so I can install my engine, as it is in process of a rebuilding. However, he is doing this as a favor, and later he will be needing the same pulley, so I am still actively attempting to purchase this pulley to replace his pulley when he needs it next year.

As I understand it, this pulley fits only a 1954 Buick 264 engine and possibly a 1955 Buick 264 engine. This engine was used on the Buick Special, as it had a smaller engine than the Roadmaster and possibly other models. I located a 1955 Buick Roadmaster locally, but it had the larger engine and different crank pulley, so could not use. It is possible (not easy) to have the longer steering column shaft shortened, but the 1954 dual-groove pulley is still needed, unless the larger Roadmaster engine is installed. I could have done this, but want to keep my car original, so am staying with the 264 cubic engine that was in the car when new.

I am in process of having the original 264 engine completely rebuilt at this time and having it bored .030 oversize, as needed this. Actually the engine had good compression, ran well and had good oil pressure, but had what we first thought was a wrist pin knock. After being disassembled, found it had one bent and also one worn out push rod, two bad lifters and wear to the cam, so decided to go all the way with both the engine and Dyanflow, which was leaking badly and is now being rebuilt locally.

Often a seller has the entire setup (power steering column and gear box, pump and of course the pulley). This is OK, but is heavy, long and difficult to ship. I am willing to do whatever I can to replace Mr. Earl's pulley, so hope that I can locate this sometime in the near future.

Attached are pictures showing the car last summer (before) and now after we pulled the engine. Lots of work ahead, including a new paint job, chrome to be replated and some minor issues - otherwise a complete and original car.

post-48037-143138500119_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138500124_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138500127_thumb.jpg

will a 54 century work? I think I have one Jeff jthdpanhead@yahoo.com

Thank you Jeff,

According to Mr. Earl, only the 54 or 55 Special dual-groove pulley will work. The Century had a larger engine and different pulley and it will not interchange, but thanks much for the help. Mr. Earl has the correct one and maybe he can post a picture. I appreciate the help and advice that is being offered. Thanks!

Fred

What about a 55 super ? When I go hit the junk yard here I think there was a couple 55 specials but cant remember if engines were in them but will look Jeff

According to Mr. Earl and my research, this pulley is ONLY on the 1954 Buick Special and probably the 1955 Special. It will be on a car that has power steering. Sometimes the horn button will say "Power Steering" The Super had the larger engine and this pulley fits ONLY the 264 cubic inch engine. Thanks a lot for checking on this Jeff - greatly appreciated.

Fred

This is why it is very rare to find....

The Special came with the 264 and Power Steering was an expensive option. Typically if people had more money and wanted PS they would go for the Century with the 322 or even a large series Super or Roadmaster.

Good luck finding one, they are out there....also check adds for engines.

I'll keep an eye myself but my bet Lamar finds it first ;)

Thanks Stealthbob for the update and reason this part is so hard to find. I normally would not worry about power steering, but this car is being restored for my wife, who just loves the '54 Buick (she has good taste), and she would have a hard time with manual steering. As for myself, I have had major rotator cuff problems in the past and driving a car without power steering is taking a chance that I must avoid. Last time I pulled out my shoulder I was out of commission for 2-3 weeks and ended up going to therapy for 2 months (not fun).

During my high school and college days, all of my cars had manual steering and I never even thought much about it. Times change......

Fred

Fred, you had asked for a picture. Here's a couple. One is the double groove I will be sending.

The other is a "rarer than hens teeth" triple groove. Take a good look at it. I doubt you will ever see another. I mean just how many 54/55 Specials were ordered with power steering AND Air Conditioning. Don't you know those lil 264's were taxed. It's not for sale. :)

post-31987-14313850064_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138500655_thumb.jpg