Auto Burglar Alarm

Brooksrun

My grandfather was a mechanic for over 50 years (he started out assembling Model T's). When he passed away, among the things that I inherited was an item called "The Original Auto Burglar Alarm". The unused "alarm" is approximately 6 inches long, cylindrical and is wrapped in a red, white and blue paper covering. It has two yellow wires sealed to the exterior with a paper tape that says:"Do not break this seal" and "The Original Auto Burglar Alarm". The instructions that are printed on the side of the cylinder state:"Original Auto Burglar Alarm. Fasten each to spark plug; step on starter. It will smoke, whistle, SCREAM and smoke again. trade mark registered"

Has anyone ever run across one of these and can you tell me anything about it? I would think that it's probably not something that was very safe to attach to a gasoline engine because I am guessing that it operated like a roman candle or firework. Anyways. I can't locate any information on the device and would be grateful for some insight. Thanks!!

Memories, memories. Have seen these in the early 1950's. May have even used a few. (Statute of limitations??) Not sure if they shot sparks, but they did smoke, whistle & pop. Remember a car sitting in the same parking place for several days after the driver abandoned it. We (oops, I mean the perps) never got caught. The car was not damaged. These items were sold at firework stores as I recall. Jim

That's pretty cool. I can't picture Granpap pulling a prank on anyone (he was pretty staid and upright by the time I came along); but, you never know! I always thought it was older(from twenties?)because of the "step on the starter" instruction. Anyways, it was always in the cash register at his shop... perhaps he confiscated it from my Dad who was a teen in the late 40's/early 50's. Thanks for insight to the "alarm" and maybe even my grandfather! Have a good one!

It's listed in a ca. 1939 Johnson-Smith novelty catalog, (remember those ads by the company on the back of comic books back in the dark ages?)

They called it an "auto Scare Bomb", and went on to say that one wire was to be attached to a spark plug and the other to ground. You can envision the rest. Too bad I just kept the catalog and let the comic books get away! Dave