this car

ricko

Hi Rick, This '42 Zephyr 4-door sedan looks very restorable. I would want to check it out VERY thoroughly however, because this guy doesn't appear to know much about Lincolns. He also has a '48 Continental for sale on e-bay that has: "a completely rebuilt V-12 from a 46 Continental, A 1956 Lincoln V8 oil pump was installed at that time for greater pressure and volume. It has a 3;22 rear end for neck snapping take offs!(Haha It weighs three tons!) with three thousand miles on it since overhaul." If the engine is "completely rebuilt", why is he including the engine from the '42 Zephyr with the Continental? confused.gifcrazy.gif I have never heard of a '48 Continental with a 3.22 rear axle ratio. I have always been under the impression that they were ALL 4.44 gears. I would try to get the '42 Zephyr engine with the '42 Zephyr, AFTER thoroughly checking out the '42 Zephyr! Good luck with it!

Supposedly there were 2 rear axle ratios for the post war Lincolns. there was a 4.22 axle for cars without overdrive and a 4.44 for cars with overdrive. I think most post war cars had overdrive, at least in'47 and '48. I think they also put 4.22 axles in the '42 models without overdrive, probably due to the smaller wheels?

Turning to the trusty parts book again, Peecher is correct, the 86H4020 ring and pinion assy, with 4:44 gear ratio was used from '38-'48 in cars with and without overdrive, 26H4020, a 4:22 ratio was used in '42-'48 cars without OD, so I guess it was an option. If the car in the picture is a '42 for sure, it's designation should be 26H73, hard to tell without seeing the grille and the interior, '42-'48's are very similar, but not the same, as any one who has had one will confirm. I have made a study of gear ratios and OD's, so if anyone is confused about them, let me know, Rolf