1953/54/55 Chevrolet NOS (help!!!!!!!)

I've seen a few of these on 53-4 Chevys in junkyards, so I think we can safely assume it was offered for those years. Not sure on 55-later- never seen one with it.

Since all GM cars used similar electrical systems, I'd say it will work on the others too. There might be some difference in the eye-pod's mounting bracket to accommodate different dash contours, but the electrics should be the same as long as car uses same voltage.

Thank You Glenn ! I have seen a few of these on eBay, but not a NOS

(in the original box). So, I have no other part numbers to compare. I

am hoping someone will reply with a Guide Accessories Book & confirm the

part number. I would like to know if it fits a BOP.

Greg...NEW1966

quotes from site:

The first of automatic headlight dimming systems were called Autronic eyes. They were first offered in 1952 for Oldsmobile and Cadillac. All other divisions started 1953. They kept his name until 1959. 1960, and up the name was changed Guide-matic but it served the same purpose, to automatically switch the head lamps between upper and lower beams in response to light from an approaching car. Lincoln started purchasing Autronic eye's in 1957, Ford and Mercury and 1964, before this they had a high failure rate until they started purchasing units from Delco. The typical system consistent of four individual units, the photo, amplifier, power relay, and a special foot dimmer switch, or a auxiliary override footswitch.

The next clue to check the serial number printed on a paper sticker on the amplifier. If the amplifier was mounted under the hood of the car for a long time the tag maybe deteriorated and fell off. The phototube had a metal tag in the years 1952 through 59 and a paper tag between the phototube and mounting in 1960 through 66. The serial number consists of nine digits. The first digit indicated the division this unit was sent to. The second and third digits indicated what year the unit when into. The remaining 6 digits indicated the serial number starting with number one. If you run across a very high number starting with the 100,000 range, this means there may have been a minor mid year production change.

Here is a breakdown of the model and serial numbers as they apply to the various car lines;

156 000001 Chevrolet

256 000001 Pontiac

356 000001 Oldsmobile

456 000001 Buick

556 000001 Cadillac ......

http://www.futurliner.com/autronic.htm

maybe you can get the serial number off the amplifier.

Good Luck, cool.gif Dave

Not sure, go to site and read about the shape of lenses?

...we have all heard "they are all the same in those years" this is not true! Some of the first clues are the shape of the phototube lens. The square clear lens was used in 1952-54 (mid year) but Chevy retained the square lens until mid 1955. But this was only to use up old inventory. Chevy only, used 6-volt Autronic eye systems on 12-volt cars with a special 12 to 6volt reducing resister. This was a poor idea, as it was a larger load on the charging system. But it was cheap!