water in the oil

Guest Rmuskat

There are several. To name three: "Bars Leak", black pepper and "oatmeal" (ot rolled oats). However these (if they work and they usually do) are only temporary. You really need to find out where and why you have a leak. Do this before you do som real permanent damage.

Head gasket? What does the water/oil mixture look like? Does the oil look like a chocolate milkshake? Does the water drain out first by itself and not mixed with the lighter oil on top? This can help diagnose the problem.

There the chance that it's condensation (water is a by-product of combustion) or blow-by. I have a neat tool that is used to detect exhaust gases in the coolant. It uses a sensitive liquid (sensitive enough to change color if you breathe on it). You use a squeeze bulb to pull air from inside the radiator neck. If there's a broken head gasket, it'll change the fluid's color.

The other thought is a cracked block or head. Water and oil should not mix unless there's a pretty major problem somewhere. Porosity in the block doesn't just happen over time to cause the problem. It could be something as easy as bad rings, or as horrible as a cracked block. You should try to find the source before you just put a band-aid solution on it.

Good luck and I hope it turns out to be nothing.

Guest Rmuskat

Tinindian,

Thank you for your reply. I plan to try and find out what the source of the leak is. I hope it is not a bad crack in the block.

Thanks again.

Richard

Guest Rmuskat

Hello Matt.

Thanks for the info. Yes the oil looks like a milk shake. There was a significant amount of water. I know the block had some minor cracks that were fixed a few years ago when I had the engine redone. Do you konw of a way to check to see where the leak is coming from?

Thanks for the help.

Richard