Opened her up today for inspection

Got all the goodies out of the way so i could have a look a the trans in my 16V. the one cable is pretty bound up, its the one one that travels when you move the shifter up and down. working on lubing it and see if that helps. Are the cables in the TC specific or does it share with any of the other transmissions? thinking i might have found problem seeing the way the cable is and considering how stiff the shifter is no wonder i cant engage reverse.

Last time I had reason to check on 16 valve clutch cables I found them to run about $500 apiece. The better way to get a cable is to take the old one in and have a new one made by reusing the ends. At least 1 of the ends is TC specific.

TC specific, but I was able to convert one of the 284 cables to work with the 523 so it would make sense that you could go the other way if you needed to... As I remember the length was wrong to use a 523/568 cable. The ends are different though.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

well what do you know, All along I was saying needed a cable adjustment and everyone screamed can't be the trans is bad, sell it to me for what you paid. Well i was right, so was my friend that helped me check it out. cable is still tight, but now has reverse, backs up like a champ, no problem I guess I have 2 fully functioning TCs now after i replace this one cable and send my TC disk and plate out to Tu's guy to get rebuilt. of course, the cable is not the one that looks like it came from outer space. the one thats bound up is the one that is similar to a 523 or 568 cable. might be pulling a cable and have a nice TC length one made up this weekend. crusing with the 89 is on the horizon. wow 2 years to get this far, i hate work and other projects.