394 balancer pulley

Oldsfan

Does anyone know if 394 harmonic balancer pulleys have the part number cast/stamped into them? I've got one that went bad and will need to be sent out for rebuilding. It is not original to the car (green paint - my engine is red), so it has been replace at some point and I don't know if it is the correct one. My parts book says that '61 and '62 pulleys are different numbers, as are '61 and '62 crankshafts, so I'm thinking there is the possibility of a balance issue here. This motor is set to be overhauled anyway, so once it is, it would be nice to have the correct balancer on it. I've got a '62 Starfire parts motor that probably has the correct balancer on it, except it is not an A/C motor (2 groove pulley) and mine is (3 groove).

Paul

Call Damper Doctor 530 246 2984. I had an incorrect and unknown part number damper on my 324. They spent a lot of time on the phone with me until we identified what it was and they took it as a core for the correct one. Nice guys to deal with.......Bob

Thanks Bob, I will check with them, because I am now pretty sure this thing has the wrong balancer on it.

'62 part numbers are 583480 for the 2 groove and 583482 for the 3 groove. The number cast into the 2 groove on my parts motor is 583481, so I am pretty certain that is a non a/c pulley for a '62.

'61 part numbers are 579486 for the 2 groove and 582051 for the 3 groove. The number cast into the 3 groove pulley on my '62 is 582050, so I am pretty sure my '62 has a '61 a/c pulley on it.

I wonder how concerned I need to be about that?

Paul

I actually had a 394 pulley on my 324. The 394 is externally balanced with a counter weight cast into the pulley. The 324 pulley is balance neutral. The engine shook like an old dog. I can't imagine that someone was actually driving it like that. I finally identified the unknown part numbers cast into the pulley by talking to Fusick, also very nice people to deal with.......Bob

• 11 years later...
On 4/26/2007 at 7:21 PM, Oldsfan said:

Thanks Bob, I will check with them, because I am now pretty sure this thing has the wrong balancer on it.

'62 part numbers are 583480 for the 2 groove and 583482 for the 3 groove. The number cast into the 2 groove on my parts motor is 583481, so I am pretty certain that is a non a/c pulley for a '62.

'61 part numbers are 579486 for the 2 groove and 582051 for the 3 groove. The number cast into the 3 groove pulley on my '62 is 582050, so I am pretty sure my '62 has a '61 a/c pulley on it.

I wonder how concerned I need to be about that?

Paul

HI Paul, I was wondering where you found your info on these balancers, we have several oldsmobile balancers and we are having issues identifying them..