engine ID

36humpback

I need help in identifying a motor block that is currently in my 36 humpback. It has a casting date on the left side near the oil fill tube (12-23-54) and a casting number on the left back near the pan (148929 35)-I believe-kinda hard to read. I need to know what size it is,what application it was originally for (car,truck, etc), and any other useful info. Thanks.

[ the serial number I found is M57537WN].. thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need help in identifying a motor block that is currently in my 36 humpback. It has a casting date on the left side near the oil fill tube (12-23-54) and a casting number on the left back near the pan (148929 35)-I believe-kinda hard to read. I need to know what size it is,what application it was originally for (car,truck, etc), and any other useful info. Thanks.

[ the serial number I found is M57537WN].. thanks </div></div>

(12-23-54) is the date the block was cast - December 23, 1954 - which makes it a 1955 engine.

The engine number, which will help determine size and the vehicle it came from, is stamped on a machined pad, left side of the block, toward the front, below the cylinder head.

Bill

Vancouver, BC