Welding or Soldering Pot Metal

I broke the Mirror mounting base on my 59 Edsel. It looks it was made from pot metal. I am a farily good welder but do not have any experirnce with pot metal. Does anyone out there have any advice for me for before I try to weld it and nave it rechromed? Any advise or suggestions will be welcome.

At the swaps you see demonstrations of brazing potmetal and aluminum by a guy selling the sticks of solder. They make it look easy doing beer cans and door handles and aluminum boat props. I am pretty good with brazing but it was a little tricky with these rods. They use a small propane torch, clean everything with a firm stainless wire brush. Then the metal is heated and the rod rubbed on the hot metal till it melts....I have had so-so results and it is easy to ruin the part if you arent careful because the rods melt at almost the same temp as the potmetal.... I think the solder can be bought at hardware stores and welding shops too.

If it's a hard to replace part I would send/take it to a GOOD rechrome/ restoration outfit before you ruin it completely by experimenting. They are experianced with difficult repairs and you are getting it rechromed anyway. It may require mechanical reinforceing besides just solder which is typically low strength.....Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Like oldsmaniac said - there is about 2 degrees of difference between the solder rods and the pot metal. I use silver solder and silver solder flux. I destroyed about 4 experimental items before I got the hang of it. I was welding a pot metal concho to a silver bit for a bridle.

Steve