'31 833 Trans/Clutch

Tom M

Hello Gents,

Went out to drop transmission today since it was recommended by you all and my friends I send out the lower half to the machine shop. Well I got the transmission off by myself and low and behold I found a broken spring laying in the valley under the clutch. I looked over the clutch and I see were it is missing from. See attach picture.

My service parts manual doesn't have a call out for this spring does someone know the name and part number for it?

Where can I find a replacement spring?

Also how does the clutch come off the crank? Is it held on the by three 7/16" nuts that have the cotter pin?

Thanks for the help

post-31137-143137930205_thumb.jpg

I think you will want to send the clutch to a professional rebuilder and have it completely rebuilt. If one spring is already broken, when will the next one go? It may cost a little more now, but it is a long way back in to fix it a second time. There is a good clutch service in Des Moines - City Brake and Clutch, which I use and I can give you a number for, and there is also one in Indy that I have never used. There might be one in Chicagoland, but I don't know about any. I don't think that Packard sold this spring separately, so finding one may be difficult. packard12s@hotmail.com

Hi Dave,

Can you post their number for our references. Thanks

I have a call into my friend. He works for a trucking trans and rear end repair shop. Will see if he can do it or if he knows anyone. Will keep you informed.

I still need to figure out how the clutch comes off the crank?

We use Fort Wayne Clutch. Very knowledgeable, excellent work. They've done a 12 cyl Cadillac clutch for us along with several Packards, a Kissel, and an an enormous American LaFrance multidisc, all in reasonable time and at a reasonable price. Never any problems.

Remove the pressure plate and clutch disc. The bolts (or nuts) in the center, around the pilot bearing, hold the flywheel to the crank. Keep these bolts and note which side of the flywheel the nuts were on. The bolts are special and must go on the way they came off. Also carefully note which way the clutch disc is installed. You will likely want to have the flywheel resurfaced while the clutch and pressure plate are out being rebuilt. Also check the condition of the pilot bearing.

Thanks Restorer32. I sent an email off to them for an estimate.

If it is a go it sounds like a I have road trip to make. Drop clutch off in Fort Wayne then off to Cecil, Ohio to drop off lower half of engine. Or will it be better fuel wise just to have it shipped? Decision decisions