New shoes on the '38

At the risk of being burned at the stake, here is a pic of my 38 with new radial tyres...however in order to get the tyres on I had to widen the rims!! But the improvement in handling, reduced noise is significant. For the purist...the rims can be slit and welded back as skinnies.....but I don't see that happening!! I have kept the high profile so that I do not lose too much top end speed.

post-41727-143137929988_thumb.jpg

Good Morning

I have a 1937 D5, w / 600/16 bias ply tires and noticed in your post that you mentioned a reduction in noise. Will the bias plys contribute to the overall noise of the car? I haven't driven anything from the late 30's, and am not sure what sounds are common, and what sounds mean something is going wrong. Thanks.

Steve

Hi There

The tyres that were originally on the car were 600 x 16, and were about 20 years old so were as hard as rocks. I found them difficult to drive as the car wandered when surface was anything other than absolutely smooth. They transmitted EVERY bump in the road (now that I think about it that is probably what gave the impression of noise) and they were unpredictable on corners and when going above 40mph. Having said all the above in my case they were probably worse than normal due to their age.

However...... when speaking to others down here, those prepaired to forgo the authentic look and have gone to newer radial tyres they all give them the thumbs up. Having now changed to radials I agree the cars are much safer and easier to drive and recommend others change also. I suspect that the wider radial IS noisier...but since they are softer the car rattles less....therefore quieter.

If you want I can let you know what tyre I got, but they may be specific to this part of the world.

I know of several people that have put 16" radials on skinny stock wheels including 35 Ford wire wheels put on a Model A and all of them had no problems and loved the change. I think the normal small 16 here is a 205 or 215 70 16. I went to radials on my 40 Ford many years ago and would never ever go back to bias, it drives SO much better. I wish we could get skinny radials for the 20's, 21's and 24's on my DB's. I would switch in a heart beat!

Dave