1991 Throttle body and IAC question

I'm trying to go through my "new" 91 Conv and I have 2 questions. A few posts mention cleaning the throttle body. When I took off the hose between the air cleaner and the throttle body, there was a "mesh" screen there. I took out the retaining washer, but the mesh disk would not come out easily. I did not want to destroy it, so I checked with the GM parts dept. and several auto parts stores. Nobody knows what it is and if it can be replaced. Is there a part number and if so where can I get it? What is the best way to proceed? The other question has to do with the IAC. The picures posted do not look like my car. Is there a way to identify it. I do not want to remove something and possibly break it. The FSM is not much help either. The car idles ok, but I'm sure it nas not been checked for awhile.

Thanks for the help,

The throttle body is about 30% larger on a 91 than a 88-90 and flows more. That honeycomb mesh is to remove any turbulance from the air flow and is about an inch thick. I has minimal effect on the CFM and tests have shown that performance degrades if you remove it.

The only way I know of to remove it is to saturate the outer edge with lubricant and push from the backside. To do this the TB must be removed from the plenium.

Guest wally888

Spay a little something on the outer edge, use a pin or...at the outer edge-it will spin and you can get a finger nail on the outer edge/work out.

Guest Greg Ross

The Honeycome diffuser Padgett refers to shouldn't be more then perhsps 1/2" thick. Do not pry at it as they're very fragile like guage material=alumimum sheet. Get some penetrating fluid on this and let soak a day or so and then work the eges as described elsewhere here.

The image posted isn't idential to yours, you'vr probbly got a aluminum "Sankes" manifold. Otherwise lsyout is the same and you should find the IAC on the front of the Throttle Body-three tiny ss screws, easily lost unles you organize a catch pan below to capture the errant fasteners!

post-30773-143137928902_thumb.jpg

Guest Jim Piro

What I have done is take a bare piece of copper wire, 14 guage, and bend it so that the hook is under the screen and gently pull it out. You are left with a 14 guage hole which is better than prying.