1951 Dodge Coronet convertible Inquiry

Guest BJM

Anybody else on this forum own an early 50's Dodge Coronet convertible that can comment on restoration issues or ownership experience (or non convertible early 50's flathead era Dodges, doesn't have to be a convertible.)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest ERICV

I currently purchaced a running 1951 dodge wayfarer business coupe. I would love to compare pictures and info about the cars. I have not found any facts at all. I really dont have much to offer but can really use some information about the cars. How many were built? and such questions. I do have the owners manual as well. Please I can use all the help and links I can get. lets compare pictures so i can see how original it is. (coronets are similar, so i thought i woulod give it a try)

Eric

twinkster_@msn.com

Guest CaptainGTX

Congrats on owning an early Dodge convertible. I purchased my 53 Coronet convertible last fall from the family of the original owners and am currently getting it running after 44 years in storage. 4,100 of these were built &, like yours, very few remain. I was lucky in that mine was always a Colorado car & has a little rust in one quarter & in the driver's footwell, and that appears to be all. It has still pliable factory undercoating underneath (including lots of overspray on the frame) and somewhat brittle undercoating on top the floorpans, which also protected the metal.

Have just about finished with overhauling the brakes. Master cylinder & all 6 wheel cylinders were salvageable, drums & brake linings were good, and only the hoses & one brake line needed replaced.

Dropped the gas tank & had it cleaned (caustic bath). It was also undercoated top & bottom, so in good condition. Rebuilt the carb & fuel pump. So the fuel system is about finished.

Almost time to refocus on the engine (241 cu in red Ram hemi - first year for Dodge). Have checked the ignition system. Believe it or not, it still has the original spark plug wires (with Chrysler markings) & they look good enough to reuse. The engine has 102k miles on it, but the car was parked in 1965 with a transmission problem, so I'm hoping the engine is ok. Once we get the engine running, we'll tackle the Gyro-Torque tranny to see what the problem was. Then hopefully, do a little cruising this summer before starting a teardown this fall or next for a frame-off restoration.

Received a lot of advice about what tires to run, and am about ready to invest in some Goodyear Classic WW radials P215/75R15's on the original 5" wide rims which are currently being powdercoated. Other than buying the car in the first place, tires are the hardest decision I've made (and the costliest).

Good luck with your car & enjoy. :)