Jet-a-Way 2004R Swap

65442conv

I have a 65 442 with the Jet-a-Way 2 speed automatic transmission and am considering replacing it with a 2004R. Is the Jet-a-Way case the same size as the Power Glide?. The 2004R is only 1/8 longer than the Power Glide but I do not know if there are differences between the BOP tranny and the Chevy tranny. Thanks for any input.

The 200-4R is almost exactly the same length as the Junkaway... er, Jetaway, but the trans mount is in the TH400 location. Since the TH400 was not offered on your 65, you'll need to move the crossmember back. Unlike the open section hardtop frames, where you would simply need to drill new holes for the crossmember, the boxed frames on the convertibles use welded-on tabs to mount the crossmember and you'll need to cut them off (or make new ones) and weld them on in the TH400 crossmember location.

Of course you plan to have the 200-4R beefed to handle your big block, right? When properly built the trans will survive, but I broke a stocker behind my 307. You'll also need the throttle valve cable and bracket to mount to the carb and some way to lock up the torque converter. There are aftermarket converter control systems available. The TV cable acts as a sort of mechanical throttle position sensor and combines the kickdown and the vacuum modulator functions. I'd also suggest a good aux trans cooler.

If you plan to use the stock shifter you'll only be able to get into OD and Drive. Otherwise you'll need an aftermarket unit. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...