Console lights back on using aftermarket items

DAVES89

I didn't think there were any console light assemblies left out there as well as console inverters, so I went for a walk thru various auto stores. At AutoZone I found what I was looking for, a blue led flexlite. It is from PILOT AUTOMOTIVE part #CZ181B. What we did was this; took the shifter knob off, then the top panel that houses the light bar,Removed the 3 screws that hold the light panel in. We carefully removed the top black shift indictor sheet. Then removed the center light bar [that was the illumination, mine was all cracked]. We carefully cut 2 slots on either end of the plastic housing so as to slide the FLEX-LITE in[you will need 2 packages]. Then reinstalled the top black sheet. We then wired it into an ignition circuit. This will eliminate using the inverter[and all those problems]. The illumination is great, looks like factory, only disadvantage I can see is that you don't have the ring around the gear the car is in, but hey I didn't have that before so I didn't lose anything.My light will not show thru the black only thru the parts "cut out" for the original lights to shine thru. Each package will cost you $19.95 each[once again you will need 2].Cut off the battery test button and batteries, and wire in.

My wife and daughter is the photogragher in our family,however if you go to TommyH post "shifter plate" dated 1/31/2007 you will get the jist of what we did. Just look at his first 2 pictures and you will see that the illuminated panel has to come out. Tommy actually went and took out everything so his way would actually be easier to do. One thing I did not post before is that the light is longer then the shifter bar [which is why we cut 2 holes on either end]. This causes absoultly no problems as there is plenty of room in the shifter box for the ends to hang over.

I called Pilot the manufactuer of the CZ-181B Flexi-lite and asked them if they have a shorter one available. They have a 10" that is available by special order. That stock number is CZ-180B. This product line is available at NAPA,PEP BOYS,KRAGEN,and AUTOZONE. I will take and post pictures as time/weather allows. Cold snap coming to Wi. and my garage, the car is stored in, is not heated.