455 Motor Mounts

Guest 66olds

I recently put a 455 out of a 75 Cutlass into my 66 Cutlass and it sits very high in the engine bay. So high that I cant get an air cleaner on it. The frame mounts I put in were from a 68 Olds Cutlass with a big block so I am told. I had to drill out a couple holes on the frame because I had a hard time lining them up. I thought they would have bolted right up. The motor mounts I bought were for that motor a 75. I am wondering now if I should have bought motor mounts for an earlier year but which year is my question. Anyone out there have the same problem? And if you did how did you correct it? I would really like to get the motor to sit a little lower in the bay so I can put a standard air cleaner on it. Thanks in advance for your input.

You need the block mounts for a 66-67 V8. I went through the same thing. My 67 had a 330 in it and I put in a 455. Went to NAPA and got mounts for a 330. The 455 fits great! I think the 330 and the 400 had the same mount. Those were the only V8's in a Cutlass back then.

I don't know if the 68 frame mounts are different from the 66-67 years, but you shouldn't need to drill new holes. I have the frame mounts from a 66 I would sell you if need be. But if you get blockmounts for the 66-67 V8's you shouldn't need them.

Tom

post-33014-143137922882_thumb.jpg

First, all Olds V8s (big and small block) have their motor mount bolt locations in the same place. The only external difference between the big and small blocks is the deck height, which does not effect the motor mounts. All 1964-1969 small block cars and all 1965-1968 big block cars used the exact same rubber motor mounts and metal frame mounts. The factory parts book calls out the same part number. This means that if you simply keep your existing 330 frame and motor mounts and bolt them to the 455, this motor will drop in. The crank centerline will be in the correct location.

There are vendors selling incorrectly labled 455 motor mounts. Despite the fact that the frame and block is the same for 68 and 69, Olds changed the mounts to incorporate a safety feature that prevents the mount from separating if the rubber breaks. The change required the frame mounts to be different in addition to the rubber motor mounts. So long as you use the motor and frame mounts as a matched set, either design will work.

Now, keep in mind that the 455 IS about 1" taller than the 330, so the valve covers and intake will sit higher in the engine compartment, even with the correct motor mounts. That's how the 66 400 was mounted, which is externally identical to the 455.

This question comes up about once a month on 442.com. Search through the FAQ on that site and you'll get additional information.