1969 Olds 442 wheels

69olds442

Guest copper128

SSI wheels were available for '69, originals would be 14x6 with a chrome rim (no trim ring). While original wheels were different between drum and disc brake cars, the aftermarket wheels are all made to fit with disc brakes (assuming you have sufficient clearance for the caliper - many aftermarket disc brake conversions require 15" wheels to clear the calipers).

Guest copper128

225/70R14 tires on 14x7 wheels will make a nice original-looking combination that will perform better than the original bias ply/14x6 setup. If you want to step up a little further in handling and originality isn't top priority, you can go to 15x7's with 225/70R15 or 245/60R15 tires.

BTW, I live in Hamburg.

Actually, 225/70-15 tires won't handle any differently than 225/70-14 tires. The section width is the same and the sidewall height is the same. All that will do is mess up the speedometer reading by about 4% and hurt acceleration slightly due to the larger tire diameter. A 225/70-14 is 26.4" in diameter, a 225/70-15 is 27.4" in diameter. Note that a 245/60-15 is a much better upgrade at 26.6" diameter with a wider section width and a shorter sidewall.

Thanks again for all of the information! Any recommendations on what brand of radial redlines to use? I was think of Diamond Back classic's tires, but I see Coker offers them as well. Anyone out there using either of these now?

Hey Joe, nice collection of cars!

• 3 weeks later...

I run BFG 255/60-15s on all four corners of my 69 H/O, and other than an occasional mild rub at full lock going over a bump (like entering a driveway, for example) there's no problem with fitment. The 255/60s really fill the wheel wells and look great in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...