1939 Dodge Truck

Guest a440plus6

You sure that's a 39? Can't see real well but the headlights on a 39 (only) were up on the crown of the fender, not on the slope down to the grille. Maybe front fenders changed in the past or maybe I'm wrong altogether. What's the body number on the right door post?

I have a 39 all restored but no fenders. If you need pictures say so. Good

Guest a440plus6

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You sure that's a 39? Can't see real well but the headlights on a 39 (only) were up on the crown of the fender, not on the slope down to the grille. Maybe front fenders changed in the past or maybe I'm wrong altogether. What's the body number on the right door post?

I have a 39 all restored but no fenders. If you need pictures say so. Good </div></div>

I would appreciate some pics....gonna need all the help I can get.

you can mail them to me if you want.

a440plus6@gmail.com

Thanks

Jerry

That truck, or least the front grille assembly, is a model year 1939. Note the downward sweeping section in the front. It has 8 upper grille bars and the area between upper and lower grille sections that was originally accentuated with a curving stainless insert. This changed for model year 1940 wherein the stainless sweep was made horizontal and the upper grille bar count reduced to four. The down-sweep was only made one year, 1939. Another small change was the conversion to sealed beam headlights for model year 1940, making the '39 trucks a distinctive one-year model. This truck appears to have been converted to sealed beams by a previous owner due to the unfinished appearance. Headlight buckets are not supposed to be chromium plated, but painted fender color which was black. 1939 lenses might be hard to find, as will the missing ram horn.

The headlights for 1939 and 1940 were as they are shown in the truck in question. They moved to pockets on the crowns of the fenders for 1941 model year and remained there for the balance of the design life, just like you said.

• 1 year later...

I have a 42, the headlights are on the crown of the fenders. BTW, I'm looking for hubcap clips, does your '39 have them? use them? I have hubcaps, but the wheels on my truck have no clips for the hubcaps... it is also possible that I have the wrong wheels, dunno.

Anyway, have you clips?

MikeR

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BillP

Sorry, no clips. Mine is a ton and a halfer with 20 inch wheels. Are car clips the same or are they exclusive to truck? Try Roberts parts in Massachusetts?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest Richie09

Hi BillP, seem to know these trucks very well from what I know...could you possibly conferm for me that the lower grill (fender extentions) with the eleven louvers is the same as the '39-'41 Plymouth pick-up? Thanks, Richie

• 2 months later...