Info on transport blues article

The interest in your story was the suspense; not the recriminations against the trucking company. You had a problem and the whole DF community pulled together to help you. You now have the car and are enjoying it. Why spoil things by being vindictive against the trucker? Actually, in my mind Dusty was the hero in finally delivering the car to you! Go the fiction route. The suspense and enjoyment are still there and you don't create a legal hassle. Most readers will get the message to choose a reputable transport company.<P>jnp

Rick - I've got to agree with Jeanne, even though the "facts" can be documented, the best way to recount your great story is to focus on the several really positive themes and a couple of object lessons for all collectors and then make it into a saga. It doesn't need to be fiction, just don't name the transport outfit, except to paint them as redefining "world class customer service", etc.

I don't know the laws to well on this, but I have a question for someone who does. I believe I recall that the name of the company was changed during this ordeal. If only this old name is used, and no mention of their new name is printed, can legal action still be taken by the company?

I recently submitted an article for the AACA. I faxed a copy to Jeanie Smith at the Hershey office. Ofcourse, it led readers on the same journey we all recently shared here in DF. Here's the problem: There may be legal issues in getting my story printed. While it could be of interest to the readers of the magazine, these issues need to be addressed so I am told. The problem is what I have written may affect the income of the trucking company that stuck it to me. ( Too bad huh? ) I asked Ms. Smith to read these posts in order to follow the story as it unfolded. Still, she says without a collaborating story from the trucking company, I may be open to litigation. How many of you think the trucking company, whatever its name is this week, will say " Yup, we really screwed him!" On the bright side, The dealer can verify my epic drama as can my phone bill to MO and CA. Needless to say, The article can't be published until it clears legal scrutiny. I do have the option of "cleaning up the article", but after what I went through I ask WHY???? What do you all think?<P>Rick rolleyes.gif" border="0

I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV but I would be hesitant to print the article if I were in charge. I followed your post concerning the company and I agree that the trucking company obviously acted, in my personal opinion, very unprofessionally to say the least. On the other hand, putting it in black adn white print could add legal obstacles to it.<P>On a brighter note, while I felt your pain of waiting for your car, I also could not help but laugh at some of the incidents - you must admit that while painfully real, it made a humorous story. Maybe you could try writing the story as a humor piece, use a fake name for the company but indicate it is based upon a true story. Again, I am not a lawyer but I think this would 1) provide a great story for the magazine and 2) provide an opportunity for anyone to contact you who wanted more info.<P>Just my thoughts.<P>BOB shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

In these times that we live in, there are just too many people out there trying to make a fast buck at the expense of someone else. Obviously this trucking company is no different. I'll bet you dollars to do-nuts (KK's, Howard) that if they thought they could sue for slander and get anywhere with it, they'd do it in a heartbeat. It's probably best to lick your wounds and have learned a lesson from it. This DF probably has already done them some harm. Heck, it may be the very reason they changed their name. I'd write the article, exactly like it happened, using a thinly disguised fictitious name for the trucking company.

Was the trucking company with the web site with the very similar name the one you used? They would not want an article written that would sound like it was them who caused this problem. Could be Company #2 was just trying to get business off of the others "Good" reputation. Good Luck either way you go. Doug

Why not use a fictitious name for the trucking company and a disclaimer that the name has been changed to protect the guilty. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Pick something so outrageous that it could not possibly be the name of a real company. Such as Crud Trucking or Sleezy Sam's Trucking. cool.gif" border="0

And you could title it, "Around the US in 80 days" or "See the USA in Your Car Carrier."<P>I agree, don't refer to the company by any of its names. Some companies think any publicity is good publicity, and this company may actually get something out of it if you use its name. <P>Jan K.<BR>Wis Region

Good ideas. I sure would like to "hand it" to this darn company though! I suppose I'll relent and call them Sleazy Sam's Slow Moving Transport Service, or something of the sort. I'll use a disclaimer, then also point readers to this site to get the REAL story!<P>Rick wink.gif" border="0

Guest elk93001

"Thinly veiled fictitious name" you say?<BR>Try these:<BR>"Lousy Linda's"<BR>"Linda the Louse's Madcap Trucking Co."<P>or is that too thinly veiled?<P>How about "SHAFT Trucking," "FlyByNight Trucking," or Slow-poke Trucking? Wait I think they just changed their name to one of those this week.

I agree with Howard, SHAFT Trucking would be a perfect name but you better check with Richard Roundtree first. He might object to the name being used. He might even have a patent or copyright on it. shocked.gif" border="0 You don't want to have another law suit. wink.gif" border="0