tracking question

Paul_in_MN

Hi all,

I new to the antique owners club just having bought a 1929 Buick series 58-129. The car is in really good condition but I have some quesions as to the authentic paint scheme of the car. My question is; Is there any way to track this specific car back to the factory to find out the original configuration, including paint.

Paul

Welcome. If you can find the plate, I think on the engine side of the firewall, it will have the key information, including trim and color. You can find the BCA judging handbook, on line, I believe, and that should give you colors. And then there are chips to match.

We hope you will be able to join the BCA and you just missed a wonderful National Meet in Rochester, MN last summer.

John

Guest imported_Thriller

John - I don't believe the plate in '29 had that information...here's mine:

29firewallplate2.JPG

There is also a Fisher plate, but it only has a job number and body number.

All '29 fenders are black. The BCA PDF Judging Manual lists 3 colour schemes. A Buick Color Bulletin No. 1 that I have lists 4. They are as follows:

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Scheme # /Upper / Lower Colour</span>

1 / Amazon Brown / Sahara Gray

2 / Black / Classic Blue

3 / Black / Baroque Gray

*4 / Black / Cairo Green

* is color scheme 2 on the color bulletin.

The only verification that I am aware of would be either going down through the layers of paint (if they exist), or go from the interior / headliner colour. I have a reference which lists which interiors go with which colour scheme, but if the interior has been replaced, that could be a dead end.

I'll have to dig a bit to find that other reference...hopefully I'll post back here before the weekend is out, unless another '29er types up before I do.

Pull back the upholstry around the doors to find the original non-faded color. According to "Seventy Years of Buick" there were fourty-three color shades of Dupont lacquer available in 1929 for all models.

My 29-27 was "Cinosure Blue" (may be mis-spelled) which was a peacock blue-green color that I really didn't like. I understand that it was the most popular color for my model that year. I repainted it yellow cream, & my mother said "It looks like a taxi". So I have been looking for an authentic lighted glass taxi sign to put on the roof.