frame question

Guest reattafun

Guest reattafun

How hard is it to replace the rubber bushings that bolt the frame to the body. I think the manual calls them insulators.

Chris again

How rusty is it? If yes, very difficult. I tried and gave up after breaking one of the cage nuts free. The cage nuts kind of float in the holes in the body. To prevent them from spinning there are tabs of some sort. If you break the tabs, the cage nut will turn with the bolt. I don't have a hot enough torch, so I let my mechanic do it for me. It was over 200.00 in labor so I'm guessing it took him at least three hours. That's with the car on a rack, comfortable working height, proper tools, etc...

I spent days going out at least twice a day spraying the bolts with WD-40 before I attempted to remove them, you will have to spray them thru the holes in the frame so you get the threads.

My frame was rusted away so I replaced it, but I didn't have to much problems removing the bolts using air tools.

421184-MVC-392S.JPG

post-36162-143137913659_thumb.jpg

Guest reattafun

On my 89, the rubber is almost out on the bottom and the round washer like parts are rusted through

I am not sure if the frame will fall but would like to make sure it is safe. My 91 looks like it is starting to wear and the rubber is slippin out.

Chris in Ohio

Do other vehicles in the snow states have these problems...are they designed the same way????????

Granted that I am in Virginia, but when I was a dealer, I bought and saw hundreds of cars (mostly GM) with more that a couple being from up north and really only had one ... a Beretta that had rust problems that came back and bit me in the butt....seems like these insulators are or will become an issue with any Reatta subjected to the harsher elements before it is over with.....