GARAGES AND TOOLS

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I'm sure everyone always stops by the AACA forum before dropping on down here but just in case you missed it, I have started a new thread there called Garages and Tools that I hope will help folks with questions regarding setting up their garage and outfitting with tools etc.

Happy Wrenchin

Lamar

Yes Lamar, I have been watching this on the AACA forum. But I have not yet posted my shop project because it isn't finished yet. However, since it will never be finished, and this is the Buick forum, here goes....

I moved three years ago from a 3 acre place in the country with a barn where I parked my Buicks. It also had lots of room to park my covered car trailer, etc. We searched for two years before we found a one level house with enough room on one side to build a shop with car storage.

In less than six months, I added a 26' X 34' pole building onto one side of my house where a big side yard used to be. I can now park 5 cars; 4 on the floor and one on the four post lift. The best part is that it has radiant floor heat that my son and I instlled for less than $300. And one of the two heating loops heats only the work bay where I can work through the winter on a project car without heating the entire shop space. My neighbors were worried when I moved in and told them my plans, but it is finished outside to look like the rest of the house with the same roof, siding, colors, etc.

The shop also has a loft on one side & an electric jib hoist that enables me to lift heavy items for overhead storage. I beefed up the double truss system with a 6" X 6" post in the middle & mounted the jib hoist at the peak. the loft is strong enough to store Buick engines, but for now I keep my spare engines under my work benches. I planned to finish insulating and finishing the walls before it got too cold, but it seems I am a little late now.

As for tools; I have a small MIG welder, grinder, small (antique) metal lathe, drill press, and lots of hand tools.

post-41092-14313791317_thumb.jpg