64 Olds 88 Braking Prob

Pat

I restored the brakes on my 64 about 8 yrs ago. I don't remember any funny pedal feel. The cars been sitting with minimal driving the last several yrs. I took it out to wash and the pedal is extremely stiff, as in it feels like I'm already to the floor. It will break although very slowly. Fluid levels are good, no signs of leaks, bleed all the lines as per manual- same results. I thought it had to be the power assist as that is the one thing not rebuilt at the time and sent it off to CA. Got it back, reassembled and it still has no feel. A neighbor came over and said he was told if PB are working right, on startup, if your foot is on the brake it will drop to the floor when the vacuum hits. When I try this the pedal is stiff as a board. None of my other 64s have this pedal feel and its driving me nuts! Any ideas? Thanks

Have you checked for vacuum at the hose and fitting going to the power booster? It's possible that the check valve is bad, the hose has collapsed internally, or some creature has build a nest in the hose. We have mud borers here in VA and they tend to plug up hoses and fittings.