89 Reatta hard to start...Where do I start?

CharlieLT4

Guest CL_Reatta

Hi, and welcome. It could be a range of things. Try turning the key to the on position wait for the noises to stop then turn the key back to off and repeat a few times before turning the key to the start position., if this helps then it is probably the fuel pump.if not then it is also possible that the Crankshaft Position Sensor is going/already bad. It also could be a low battery, did you try starting with a jump starter also attached to the battery? also possibly the Coil Pack but probably not. Many more answers that other members know of.

My 89 is also hard to start, and I already replaced the fuel pump, sending unit, screen in the tank, coil pack, fuel press. reg. plugs and wires. All this and the fuel pressure still goes to 0 when the key is turned off. You may want to check the pressure in the fuel rail to see if you are also losing pressure, for the life of me I can't figure out my problem.

GOOD LUCK

What I would suggest is this. In a closed area like a garage, drive the car in and shut the garage door. With the driver's door open, turn the key, do not move key to start, just turn the key to "on". Do you hear the fuel pump kick in for a few moments? Listen to the back of the car, not the front. If you don't hear a sound, the repair may be as simple as the relay mounted on the firewall. It you don't hear the sound, what happens, is the fuel pump must wait for a signal that the oil pressure is more than 10 psi, otherwise, it will not activate. The relay causes the fuel pump to turn on just enough to start the car. Always try the simple things first.

Guest jcc3inc

Sir,

Maybe this is an opportunity to get the car at a better

price! You should have a good idea of what those are going

for, and offer him somewhat less. I can't believe that it

is much of a problem.

Regards,

Jack C.

Try pinching off the fuel return line and see it it holds pressure, if it does the fuel pressure regulator is a problem, if it still looses pressure you have a bad injector.. then becomes a problem, which one??