More Coolant Temp Data

padgett

Had occasion to drive over to the coast today. 95F, moderate humidity, about as flat as you can get.<P>Most of you know more about my '88 than you ever wanted to but two elements need note:<BR>1) LeBra is still on and still blocking about 40% of the grille area even with license plate flap open.<BR>2) Have jumpered fan resistor so puller is always on HI when a/c is on.<P>At cruise controlled 2050 RPM (about 70 mph) coolant varied irregularly and slowly between 199F and 206F indicated (reasonably certain thermostat is opening at 180). Instantaneous MPG was steady on flats (overpass could upset) between 26 and 28 mpg.<P>Slowing to 1675 RPM (c.a. 60 mph) dropped temp to 197-203F but mpg did not change.<P>Had "sensed" a trace of misfire a week ago at 2000 rpm - enough to drop mpg to 23-24 but can of injector cleaner into new fillup (Mobil 87) seems to have cleared as indicated in cruise mpg.<P>A/C was on 72F auto bilevel for entire trip - did not drop to LOW but was comfortable.<P>Suspect without LeBra would have run 5-7F cooler but close on 200F am not going to worry.<P>Does anyone care about this sort of thing ?

Padgett,<P>As you now know (with our many emails back and forth), I can read about Reatta cooling issues ALL DAY LONG and not get bored. I simply find it fascinating to learn more and more about these unique, yet demanding engineering marvels.<P>For me, yes - bring 'em on.<P>--Tom<P>(PS - anticipating moving from HI to PA, not sure if I want to again R/R Stant thermostat from 90C to 82C smile.gif" border="0 Winter is just around the corner, and will probaby need ALL the heat I can get.)

Before computers I ran 160F thermostats in all of my cars. When in school one time I left Flint on a frost winter morning to pick up my sister who was flying into DC for a weekend at grandparents place on the shore (have always been able to start a 1,000 mile drive knowing within ten minutes or so what time I would arrive).<P>'70 GS Buick 4-speed with a/c (GM cars with a/c *always* have great heaters). 600 miles later arrive at airport. Sister starts to get in then jumps back on sidewalk claiming I had it over 100F in the cabin (heater on max all the way).<P>180F thermostat is plenty to roast even in Michigan winter.

Guest Stan Leslie

Stat temp in winter is less of an issue with electric fans than engine driven fans (mostly trucks these days). An engine driven fan can over cool in winter at low speeds, when you need the heat the most, but I agree with Padgett that it should be fine in most anything with an electric fan. Warm-up rate should be the same with both stats.