Rear brakes

john266

OK guys, I got a weird question relating to the rear brakes on my '91. I finally got around to changing the pads the other day (even though the pads werent worn yet), and I ran into something weird. On the backside of the pads that meet with the caliper piston I found an old shim of some sort that looks like it was used to hold the pad in place. The thing looked like a clip that had four prongs holding itself to the pad, and another four prongs holding the pad to the inside of the piston. Of course the shim was all rusted and old, so I just tossed it and bought the new pads and put them on. However, the new pads didnt come with any kind of shim like the one the came off the car. I only drive my car on weekends, but when I last drove it I noticed some rattling in the rear when I would hit a bump in the road. I took the wheel back off and took a look and saw that even though the pad was securely in place, it was moving ever so slightly (like it looks like it can tap the rotor when the brakes arent applied) when the pressure was relieved off of it. Has anyone else ran into this situation, and if so what can I do to fix it.

I too have a '91 and changed out all four sets of pads a year ago, then again this past summer as I had a blown rear diver's side caliper. I ran into the same problem you're having now. After some research, I found that the clips that hold the pads were slightly out of original shape and wouldn't hold tightly. Also, the shims were reduces to fragments, if anything was left at all. I couldn't get the old clips to seat the pads securely at all, but new "hardware" as the dealer calls the clips was around $40. The dealer was the only one that had them on hand. For the half the price and a few days of waiting, I was able to get new clips from Napa. They fit very well now, but the shim would help. I haven't had any breaking problems and the pads stay in place just fine. So, my final advice is to focus on the conditions of the clips and replace those.

Thanks alot. Since I threw the old clips away a week ago, I dont think Im going to find them now. I'll just have to stop by the Buick dealer and see if I can get a set. But heres one thing I forgot to mention, when I pulled the old pads off, not only were there clips holding the pads to the caliper, but someone who owned the car before me got creative and covered (and when I say covered, I mean COVERED)the backs of the pads with silicone to keep them on the clips. Dont you just love the things that people do to cars? LOL

You are experiencing the famous Reatta Rattle.

The rear brake caliper is a poor design to keep adjusted properly and keep the rattle out.

The clip is suppose to hold the the brake pad against the piston but the piston self adjustment does always work and the pad rattles around in there.

The best solution is to buy Loaded Calipers because it comes with the hardware and the piston works better.

I fixed the rattle on a Toronado (same brake calipers same problem) by welding a post to hold the pad back with a spring. It solved the problem but took a while to figure out the problem and a solution. The car when to the crusher with about 80,000 miles on the the pads and the fix. Not a rattle.

I had the same rattle when I bought my car. It really annoyed me, so I pulled the old pads off and applied Disc Quiet, I think it's called. It's a redish orange color, you can find at any auto parts store, and it cured the rattle. I didn't change the pads because they still looked pretty decent. It was a cheap fix and well worth the effort.

Joe

Allow me to attemp to explain the purpose of the clip.

The rear calipers have the parking brake feature. Which works like this...

the cable pulls an arm, that turns a screw, that goes into the rear piston.

When the screw turns, it pushes the piston out against the pad, which clamps the rear rotor.

The rear piston must be held from turning or the above would not work.

That is the function of the clip. The clip fits into the 4 notches in the piston and attaches to the back of the inside brake pad. Since the brake pad is trapped in the caliper assembly, if everything is put together correctly then the piston cannot turn when the parking brake is used.

Does that make sense?