Clutch on 1920 Dodge

busaf4

My multi plate clutch does not always stop spinning when I push in on the clutch pedal. It does shift out of gear. Also what is the right weight lubricant for the clutch plate lubrication system (filler is at a connection on the floor boards).

Thanks

Art Lee

Guest 18DodgeBrothers

Art,

I had a similar problem last year with our 1918 DB touring. The discs were sticking together. Couldn't shift into any gear from neutral while the engine was running. I followed the advice of another club member who recommended using brake clean. Under the floorboard, I removed the plate that covers the disc area of the clutch. I propped a 2 x 4 between the clutch pedal and frame crossmember to take pressure off of the discs. Then I sprayed two cans of brake clean ("BrakeClean" I think is the brand name I got at a parts store) onto and in-between the discs. During this, I used a screwdriver to separate the discs every once in awhile and then sprayed more between them. Awful looking stuff drained out the bottom and the stuff doesn't smell good either. I let it set until the next day. This cleared up the problem for me. Haven't had any trouble since. BTW, I use a 600W oil in the transmission. It is available in large amounts (like 30 or 50 gal.) and I was able to purchase a gallon from someone who had bought the large amount. Not sure how/where you can get it otherwise.

Les Hoffmann

Art

Cleaning your clutch with the Brake cleaner is right on the money. The grease for the throw out bearing located on the floor board is cup grease. The same grease used for the fan on the engine and shackle bolts. The 600w steam cylinder oil for the transmission and rear axle can be purchased in 5 gallon buckets.

I drive my 23 all summer and it will sweat out about 1/2 a quart (400 cc) in 7 months of kicks and giggles, any lame excuse to drive fun.

Reuel

(rule)