Driven award at Rochester Nationals

Buicksplus

BCA Friends:

I really appreciated the great edition of the Bugle featuring the 2006 National Meet in Rochester. That cover photo is especially impressive, and overhead view covering both front and back covers. It's hard to count all the Buicks in that one photo... Thanks Pete, for another great issue, full of facts, pictures, and interesting stories.

I could find no mention of the Driven award. I know a couple of people who went to some effort to drive to this meet for a Driven award. Were any given? If so, I think it would be nice if recipients were listed somewhere. Driving to meets is getting rarer and rarer, and I think that those who do drive should get some sort of recognition.

Bill

Albuquerque.

Guest imported_Thriller

Bill,

Since the inception of the driven class, I wonder if there has perhaps been an increase in cars driven to the National. There were right around 100 cars registered for the Driven Class. I don't know how many were awarded (I know a car next to mine was locked up, so the judges couldn't verify a spare tire). My wife and I received 2 for the Wildcat and '62 Special.

This year, the Driven Class was by far the largest class. Perhaps that says something in itself.

Guest imported_Thriller

The badges were in a bag or box this year...they are in a numbered fashion, but that is just used to record the information. At least this year, they weren't being handed out in numerical order - my cars got 140 and 114...they were parked right beside each other and judged one after the other.

Hello Bill, Derek and everyone else interested in the Driven Class:

I want to thank everyone who has written to this thread and all those who have read it.

The Driven Class is very important as it represents those who enjoy not only owning a Buick

but working to place them in repair to drive to the BCA National. The BCA National is the

only place where the Driven Award can be received and is a one of a kind award carrying with it

a special recognition for roadworthiness. Put a Driven Class winner (car) next to any other car and it holds it's hood high. I appreciated those who noticed that the Award has a number on the

back. After the first batch of awards they were numbered so as to assist in tracing for future

reference which car received any numbered award. After each National a list of Driven Award

winners is filed with the BCA Office and the number of the award listed next to the name of the

owner of the car and the year, etc, of the car. To this date slightly over 200 numbered awards

have been given. Room is left for engraving of the name of the owner and year of the car.

I have had this information engraved on the back of each of the awards my cars have received.

With three judges moving about the field with a pocket full of awards we do not necessarily

distribute them in exact numerical order but very close. Thanks for your appreciation of this

class and you each share a special place in the BCA as having received a BCA Driven Award.

One of the agreements reached by the BCA Board of Directors in establishing this award was the

condition that the award be given on the field so as to not extend the awards dinner. However,

printing the names of the winners in the Bugle is a great idea. I suggest that those of you

who feel this a great idea make a posting here and I will ask Board members to review the postings.

Thanks again, Patrick W. Brooks, Driven Class Chairman and BCA Board Member