For Those Who Are Lovers of Salvage Yard Finds.....

Guest BJM

Guest imported_MrEarl

Jake, I believe this is the same yard, Old Car City The ebay auction location, Acworth is about 30 miles from White which is where OCC is. If so it may have changed hands as the owner at the time we visited would not part anything out. For instance I asked about a complete 56 Roadmaster and and he quoted me 1,600.00 which was the same answer I got when I asked how much was the jack in the back seat. I love to visit yards this time of the year and may try and make another trip up in the next couple of weeks. They were very strict about not letting folks just ramble through the yard (somethin stupid about insurance and people wanting to sue for injuries). Instead they charged for a motorized tour. Luckily Jordan and I hit him in a good mood and he let us ramble on our own for a full day. And what does Jordan do but to stick a nail through his shoe and about an half inch into his foot. I forbid him to limp when we got back to the office!!

Yes,

That's the post I remember with the tour they charged money for. No doubt we have all remembered some eccentric salvage yard owners over the years. I wonder how many additional cars would have been saved in the past 20 years if yard owners would have sold them at reasonable prices. In America, a person is still allowed to live the way they want to as long as it is not an illegal activity.

On the BCA National salvage yard trip / tour this summer in Minnesota, I thought that old guy was high priced. Oh well.

I tend to think the best way to save cars is #1 to get some land with all the right permits to store large quantities of cars, then #2 go into the scrap business and buy out all these places when they give up. But instead of just blindly crushing, save good cars and store them for resale, and strip parts off those in really bad shape before scrapping them.

Pontiac59,

You are an interesting fellow. I don't agree with some of your comments you put in your ebay auctions and although I like the 40 Roadmaster coupe you permanently have on ebay, I can't possibly see how anyone would pay $3600 for that. So in a way, you are in that group of salvage yard owners who want extremely high prices for their stuff.

You admitted to getting the 53 Skylark for scrap price ($40 to $100) yet it's on ebay here for $1200 opening bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-Buic...1QQcmdZViewItem

On the other hand, like all the salvage yard owners, it's your option to choose to hold on to these finds. You must have the space. Do you occasionally get a buyer for them? How does the ebay perpetual auction thing work? I've seen auctions for cars go on for months or years. Do you pay a flat fee for a "Buy It Now" auction in the format that runs continuously?

http://contact.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...llerQuestion_VI

I guess I won't be on the "pre-approved" list. Really I don't care how much you ask and I've never sent you an email on one of your auctions, but your turnover of these cars can't be too fast. Wouldn't it be better to offer the Skylark at something like $200 as an opening bid? It would probably end up somewhere higher then that but $1200 forces a tougher decision on the part of prospective buyer. At least on the 53 Skylarks, a person restoring one you would think - would have the money to purchase your car but still. The cost to retrieve the car, get the parts one needs, then dispose of it - pretty steep in this age of $2.00 plus gallon gas, etc.

For the Franklin car, there are usable parts and it is unfortunete the questions got asked and posted but there is no way that auction would run continuously for years unless ebay was doing it for free until final value fee was posted, upon an eventual sale. I'm sure ebay likes the business too.

Well, I'm not sure why you're starting a public debate about how I choose to do business, but.. to directly answer your posts:

When guys write me up knocking me or what I am selling, I know right off they have no intention of buying anything. They're either jealous of what I have, angry that they can't afford to ever have a nice car, or the parts hunter badger guys (more on that in a bit). So I return their attitude to them in spades. Why's that?

Because if you can buy something better than what I have for less money, someplace else, you need to go do that and stop whining to me. What on earth is the point of telling me about it? I don't care. I'm not interested in being insulted, and that's what it amounts to. If you're really interested in the item for sale, then ask me specifics about it and make me an offer or come up and see it in person.

On that '40 Buick - you do understand the concepts of an "asking price" and "making an offer"? The same thing without a motor or trans sold right off this board a year or so back for $2000. This one is priced right at the guide figure. How many do you find anywhere for sale in a year? I've never seen another one. I did see a '40 Super that ran and looked nice for $7,000, but you could see the bondo and window screen in the rockers and parts of the fenders, under the paint it needed just as much bodywork as mine. With a motor swap, mine would run and move in a week's worth of work. Glass is $45 a shot. If I wanted to spend another grand or so on it, I could then justify a $7,000 price for it. As it so happens, I like this car, I don't much care if I sell it or not, but if a guy wanted it bad enough I might let it go.

As for the eBay stuff, you might want to check that out on eBay, since this is not an eBay forum. But those listings are not free.

I've sold about half a dozen cars this year, and most of them have all paid anywhere from $1500 to $2200 to have them shipped to the west coast on top of that. So far, they've all been thrilled to even find these cars. I have no problem selling things to for real buyers and builders.

People on this very board have told me that Skylarks in nearly as rough of shape have sold for more than 10 times my asking price. How often do you find a Skylark parts car, anywhere? The open price is cheap. A restored mint Skylark can be a $100,000 car - we're not talking about a Ford Falcon here, for the guys who have these cars and can afford to restore them that price should be like pocket change. If the bidder only needs a few parts, take just that and leave it for me to deal with, or they can part it out themself - they will soon find out why I hate parting out cars.

If I am going to part cars out I may as well just crush them whole, because it's the same thing in the end, a useless unsellable hulk that the scrap guy will give me $50 or $100 for no questions asked.

People play games on eBay. That's another reason I won't part cars out - I'm so tired of these clowns who write me up telling me a car is junk and I should part it out. That '40 Buick is one example, I had a guy send me 3 or 4 notes whining about it. I've been all over the car, it needs a few rust issues fixed but the floor is all there save two small flat spots in the front and there is nothing any halfway comptent metal guy couldn't fix properly. The parts it's missing are shared with sedans and most of them are pretty cheap and easily located. I had one guy write and wanted to just buy the back and roof from the car to convert a Cadillac into a coupe - I told him he'd have to keep looking. One guy on the Franklin, the one I told to re-read the description, had the nerve to call me an a-h in his response to that - gee, thanks for one more reason not to part this out. I still think it should be made into a rat-rod if just to disturb guys like that.

The best one has to be the 1950 Ford woodie, though. In about 2 and a half years this one moron would send me 2 or 3 notes EVERY time I listed it. Not only was I supposed to part it out for him, but he wanted to buy the parts for a fraction of what they were bringing in the same shape in auctions, and after all his nonsense I was supposed to go through the hassle of shipping large parts (like the third seat) to him. That guy I wouldn't sell a single rust flake to for a million bucks. As for the car? It finally sold for a little below the market price to a man who came up and brought it home to restore.

Some concepts I think people fail to think about - I have bills too, the cars are rarely free, I have to spend the time and money to find them and bring them home. I've had to cut trails 150 feet long, move three cars to get to one good one (none of which rolled, some didn't even have wheels), deal with all kinds of goofy guys and put up with a lot of nonsense just to get them someplace. I live 75 miles from where the cars are to have a place that they can be without a hassle from the town. But I also do this for a hobby. I'll still eat and sleep with a roof over my head if I don't sell something today. There is no reason for me to be taking less than the market price on a car or a part. Like I said before, if you can get a better one someplace else for less, do it, that's one less out there for the next guy who comes along.

I've done this long enough to figure out who the tire kickers are, and that's fine if you're a tire kicker, but realize that I know it and I'm less likely to be nice if you're not spending money with me. (every time I go to a new salvage yard, I spend money there, even if it's a single hubcap for $20, I figure I'm paying the guy for his time as much as anything). So the ones that start right off insulting me can do something unprintable here with it - I'm not a major discount retail store, and I don't have to put up with that.

Plus, it's that attitude that gets these places scrapped out. Between the people who want to pay a dollar for something that's worth $20 scrapped and $150 on eBay, the people who steal, the people who just look around and never spend a dime.. if I can sell the whole works for $50,000 or $100,000 to a scrap guy, no questions asked, no hassle... heck, I would do that too.

I can only imagine the adrenalin-like rush you must have felt when you realized you had found a bona-fide 53 Skylark rusting away in a forgotten salvage yard. I read about this with a sort of fascination. I can't imagine anyone questioning your motivation regarding selling the car as a whole or for parts. Further, the reserve price that you had on your e-bay listing does not seem all that out of line to me, considering the rarity/desirability of such an exotic model.

You obviously sell a lot of vehicles/parts on Ebay. I checked your customer rating approval, and it was a solid 94+%. There was only one negative comment out of many, many positives. This speaks volumes about your credibility, and I don't blame you one bit for getting ticked about someone raising questions about how and why you do business. People in this world can be so narrow-minded and singular of purpose when they try to find reasons why they won't spend the necessary moola on any particular item that catches their fancy.

I enjoyed your rebuttal to the poster that brought up this subject. Good Luck in your future endeavors, and I hope to read more about exciting salvage yard finds.

Al

Thanks for the comments. You can't escape negatives on eBay, guy changed his mind on a radio and got mad when I did the routine to get the listing fee back.. I was going to let the feedback go -

94.4% is considered bad by eBay "people" for some unknown reason, though. If everyone who was happy left me a positive it probably would be higher, but the people who are unhappy for whatever reason run to the negative feedback a lot faster than the happy ones go to a positive. I guess all I can say is bear in mind that's one account now 8 years old and includes feedback from as far back as when it could be left for any reason, at any time, from sales of a lot of other things I tried before I went full bore into automotive related items.

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> On that '40 Buick - you do understand the concepts of an "asking price" and "making an offer"? The same thing without a motor or trans sold right off this board a year or so back for $2000. This one is priced right at the guide figure. </div></div>

I'm not sure I saw this one that sold for 2000.. where was the car located?

OK 59 Pontiac: I always get angry and whine like a little kid when I don't get my way. It's called being a spoiled brat. What's wrong with that? There are people who whine MORE than me and I believe they're a minority. Actually, many people hate my guts when they find out how I operate.

On the other hand I'm really not such a bad guy. I do spend money recklessly and do more things that don't make any sence than do make sence. It probably would take an atomic bomb to get me off my course. It's a wonder I am still alive. Mitch