Can you identify this car?

Greg_bigdaddy

Can anyone identify this car? It was taken at the McFaddin Home in Beaumont, Texas around 1910. All of the young ladies are from SE Texas Oil Society.

The car appears to have unsual radiator markings, and mascot. The photo is from Scrapbook 3, 36R, Courtesy of the McFaddin-Ward House, Beaumont, TX

post-48846-143137911055_thumb.jpg

I've been looking at several links since I last posted. It also seem very close to an EMF. None of the radiator shells looke exactly right. do you have a scan of the 1920 catalog you mention. If so could I use it for my article.

I'm also looking for information on a 1910 Pullman owned by the same family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you get the image in your post? I have an 1910 advertisment for the Neches Motor Car Company I want to add to this discussion. </div></div>

OK, First of all I'm a computer dummie, so I'm using terms that work for me.Load a photo as you would do normaly, then go to the post and click on the photo. Right click on the top bar with the photo ID info click cut or copy, then left click on "EDIT" on the post. Go to the end of your post and right clock and PASTE the info. Then add %7Boption%7D in front of the pasted info and [/img} at the end and click on the change post or whatever the box says. Seeing the photo makes reading any post so much more interesting IMO.

To my eye there seem to be two or three differences between the radiators.

1) the filler neck is taller on the Texas car, perhaps in proportion 3 to 2.

2) the Garford radiator has pointed "cusps"(as I think Packard called them) , where the indentations are on the outline. The Texas car has a smoother profile.

3) radiator core may be a different type. The Garford core is clearly made in block sections in the manner of T head Mercers. The Texas car shows no indication of this block construction.

Ivan Saxton

I received this from John Daley who maintiains the EMF web site.

"The Garford company supplied parts to other car manufacures and at some point (1906??) took it a step further and supplied entire chassis. Some cars that used the Garford chassis were Ardsley, Gaeth, Cleveland, Royal, Rainier and most notably Studebaker. The contract with Studebaker prevented Garford from having their own car, but that contract was disolved or broken in 1910 as Studebaker was then taking over E-M-F and no longer needed Garford. For 1911, Garford built their own cars and in 1913, they were bought out (absorbed) by Willys-Overland.

The car in your picture looks like a Studebaker Garford, I would say 1910 vintage."

I would surmise that the cars may have been a mishmash of different parts. What do you think?

I'll post the 1910 ad from the Beaumont, TX car dealer who probably sold it shortly.

This information comes from the "Standard Catalog of American Cars: 1805 -

1943 3rd Edition" by Beverly Rae Kimes and Henry Austin Clark Jr. ISBN Number 0-87341-428-4. This is a great book with lots of pictures of almost all marquees. A must have for the car collector.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Don't you love how they made the smoke bonnets on the headlamps match the radiator shape? Pope Hartford used to have a smoke bonnet with a miniature fender shape on the top and rambler used a wheel design on each side, the attention to detail was just fabulous.