Best way to check if ball joints are worn?

DeeBee

I've had a banging sound when driving over smaller bumps. Smooth over the big stuff. Brand new struts but the noise was there before the strut change so I doubt it is strut related.

So I'm thinking ball joints. What is the best way to check them. I have checked the bearings and they are good. I've also tied down the wheel well plastics a bit and that did eliminate the flapping sounds.

The banging comes only from the driver's side, the passenger side is smooth and noise free.

They should have checked your alignment when the struts were put on. If so they should have noticed if the ball joints or joint was worn. I would jack up the drivers side front tire and see if there's play in the wheel when moving the tire from top to bottom, and it might replicate the noise too.

Joe

Guest F14CRAZY

Actually, I could see my ball joints were bad without unloading the A arm.

If they're really bad, your on center will suddenly change when making medium-hard turns.

It's not the calipers as I have that sound from the rear and can easily check for that. The noise is for sure from the front end. I went under here and looked at everything. Took some pics and I think it might be the cradle mounts. Pics are attached.

I've read about bad cradle mounts on other Buicks of the 88 through 95 years. It doesn't appear to be a big deal to replace them. Buick even had a recall for the Century models, also Park Avenue. I've also read at least one post here about someone losing a cradle although this Reatta has only 80+k miles on it. It could be that the rubber cradle mounts on that side just need replacing.

Everything under there is tight. The car tracks perfectly; hitting brakes with no hands on the wheel and it just stops straight and true.

Or, it could be I'm imagining the whole thing and have gone wonkers.

post-47423-143137911034_thumb.jpg

Guest wally888

The stabilizer bar (maybe the wrong nomenclature) can be loose (nut backed off) but feels tight upon checking. Check threads thru nut-one of mine backed off-took forever to find it! Is tight feeling no matter which way you turn wheel.

The entire suspension was checked during the strut replacement and you know repair shops, they rarely miss a chance to sell more parts or service.

Everything checks out good under there. No loose anything. The strange thing is that it does not feel as if it's coming up through the wheel. It is like an isolated bumping noise, hard to describe. You can feel it in the floor board area but not the sterring wheel, it's like right under your left foot.

I'm going to tie up every rubber flap down there to see if that cures it. They all seem in real good condition though. Maybe this is normal. I think the next time I get near another Reatta I'll ask to go for a ride and see if I'm off base here. The ride is perfect and smooth except for this and then only at surface street speeds.

Guest F14CRAZY

Now that you metion it not being in the steering, check you muffler and mounts. Mine was banging on a couple places, either when hitting bumps or with the brakes applied. It would bang all the way from freeway speeds, down the ramp, and to a stop. Took me a while to take it to the exhaust shop and have it addressed. My rubber mounts were in ok shape but we weird (if that helps) and they welded a little piece of steel on the rear suspension to hold it better.

Couple of weeks ago I had an occasional bump and a frequent grinding sound from somewhere under the car. Discovered that the tired exhaust hangers were allowing the pipe to contact the crosspiece below it about midway of the car. The exhaust hangs by two rubber links at the back, one on each end of the muffler, and two rubber doughnuts about midway. Amazingly, they're available at NAPA, and simple to change. You might take a look at that.

Okay, got it. Darn rubber/plastics underneath. I cut some of them short and then with some Tireplast from Taps made up extensions to make up for the difference. The tireplast is softer yet very durable.

No more noise or flapping coming though the body. Finally, peace and quiet.