how big of wheel or tire to put on rear

71convert

I have a 71 cutlass. I was considering putting 17 x 9.5 wheels with 5.5 backspacing on it. Does anyone know if this will be too tight? What are your thoughts on this. Will also be going to 17 x 8 on front with 4.5 back spacing. Will run 235/40 front and 245/45 rears.

You do realize that despite the 17" rims, those tires are somewhat smaller in diameter than the original tires, right? Your proposed fronts are only 24.4" in diameter and the rears are 25.7". I've run 245/60-14s (25.6" diameter) on factory SSIII 14x7 rims and 255/60-15s (27" diameter) on factory 69 Hurst/Olds rims on all four corners of various 68-72 Cutlii with no problems. I don't know how your proposed wheel offset compares to that of the factory rims, but it sounds about right. Just keep in mind that unless you plan do lower the car significantly, you'll have a lot of daylight between the tires and the fender opening. The 245/60-14s look absolutely lost in the wheelwells of an A-body. The 255/60-15s fill the wheel well and look great.