Houdaille (HOO-DYE) shocks

mlander

The later shocks used in the Lincoln about 1939 seen to have been equipped with a form of thermostatically controlled shock. But the point of just who and when did Houdaille put shocks on the early Lincoln between 1922 and 1939 is up for grabs as this might determine if Lincoln had Houdaille double action Hydraulic shocks before Packard. As Houdaille shocks were invented in 1908 it seems almost impossible that Packard had this before Lincoln. I believe that Packard used Delco-Lovejoy Shocks

M.L. Anderson

Not sure about Packards eariler than '41 but the '41 Super and Custom 180's did use a Houdaille as a "fith" shock absorber. It was used in the rear as a "lateral stablizer". Houdaille shocks were also used on early(mid 30's and up) Studebakers with transverse front leaf springs and of course early Fords.

peecher

Reged: 01/04/03

Loc: Washington Re: Houdaille (HOO-DYE) shocks [Re: mlander]

#410352 - 09/22/06 08:40 PM

Not sure about Packard?s earlier than 1941 but the '41 Super and Custom 180's did use a Houdaille as a "fifth" shock absorber. It was used in the rear as a "lateral stabilizer". Houdaille shocks were also used on early (mid 30's and up) Studebakers with transverse front leaf springs and of course early Fords.

Edited by peecher (09/22/06 08:47 PM

In my copy of MoToR?s Manual they mention the "lateral stabilizer". And even give some statements about servicing it. But nothing about just what it is supposed to do and how it achieves its purpose. Can you possibly give me some input on this?

Yours, M.L. Anderson

Just a guess as I've never seen this set-up on a Packard, but I suspect some kind of Panhard Rod arrangement to inhibit and reduce "heaving" and sharp side ways motion. The "stationary" end of the rod may have been attached to a very short arm on the chassis mounted Houdaille shock. As I say, just a guess. Someone on the Packard forum might be able to shed some light on the real setup?