Generator Removal-Need instructions

pint4

I am looking for some help figuring out the best way to remove my generator. I am working on a 1933 Buick Series 60. The generator is located along side the engine on the passenger side. As I look at it from the front of the car back, the generator looks to be gear driven off the engine. Then there is the distributor which seems to be connected to the generator. Next item in the line up is the water pump. Couplings seem to connect everything. Where do I start. I assume once I start, then the timing will be off as it looks like the distributor has to be removed. Can the generator be removed without touchung the water pump? The shop manual has been of no help figuring out this problem.

Thanks.

Bob

You have to remove the water pump and the distrubutor. It helps to put a paint line on the outside of the distributor where the roter is on # 1 cylinder. I also remove the coil. Get everything out of the why. I guess you could leave the distributor in but it is more weight and I was always afraid of banging it and damaging it so I removed it.

When you get the distributor out of the way and all the rods to it out of the way, loosen the 3 bolts that go into the generator from the front of the engine. The fit is very tight. There are places between the front of the generator where it meats the engine where you can pry with a bar or screw driver to work the distributor loose. You can also pull from the rear of the distributor. Make sure that when it comes loose, that you rotate the generator shaft as you pull the generator out so that the gear on the generator that meshes with the timing gear unwinds from the timing gear and does not catch on the timing gear and shave off part of the timing gear tooth.

You may have to remove the oil cooler also. I do not remember. What I do remember most is that it is tought to get out and the less stuff in the way, the easier it is to do the job.