356 fan belt

West Peterson

Thanks, Dave... and Dave.

Do the belts that you guys use allow any room to move the generator? The one that a Packard supplier sends out is sooo tight, the generator is almost touching the engine block. In fact, it's near impossible to get the dang thing on without taking the generator off!!!

The "supplier" also said that the 45-degree v-belt was important. Do you two have any problems with yours at all?

Thanks for the help.

West

West, I have lots of belt length to adjust the generator with the NAPA belt, in fact I had to tighten it up a bit after the car began to get warm during a recent road trip. A for the V; the belt I replaced sat too high on the pulley and the engine wasn't cooling properly but the new NAPA belt fixed that also as it sits snug in the pulley.

Thanks for the help.

West

Great news. I've written the number down and have put it into my file. Thanks, Dave.

It sure seems strange to me that a "big" Packard supplier would sell something that's WAY TOO SHORT for the application, especially if a correct size belt is available. Most of them "flip" parts, why wouldn't they find the right size fan belt and put their usual mark-up on it and "flip" it also??? I guess I should just feel thankful that the sales person informed me of the problem with the belt they normally send out. The "customer service" was very good, so I don't have a problem with that aspect of this company.