1954 Ford Customline help

vrod

I am from York, Pa and I am a newbie. I need some good help with this. I posted about the car in the Ford 53 and newer section. I forgot to say the floorboards would need replaced. I am just looking for some help on a price right now. I don't want to overpay for a first time car to try and restore.

I attached another picture on here for you to look at. ( 1954 Ford 2 door coupe Customline)

Thanks for any help,

Doug

post-48156-143137906334_thumb.jpg

look at values of similar cars in old car publications like old cars weekly and hemmings motor news. Don't buy a car just because it's there - decide on what make and model you want, do a lot of research on values. When you restore, start with the best one you can find... either you pay up front, or you pay it on the back. Any restoration is going to cost you twice as much (or more) and take twice as long (or more) than any estimate, or anything you ever figured. I'm not being facetious or smart-alecky, anyone here will tell you the same thing! When you restore, you have to do it for love, there's never any profit in it, and at the end you'll have more in the car than it's worth. Again, not being flip or trying to discourage you, that's just the way it is, and it's something that we all have to go through. Obviously, the more work you can do yourself, the better off you are. Personally, if I had to do it over again, one thing I'd do if I just wanted an old car, would be to consider something like a 4-door midline sedan that's in good shape, rather than a top of the line convertible... at least as far as '50s and 60s cars are concerned. My opinion is that most of those built were probably sedans, therefore there are more of them left, which makes them easier to fnd. Look on ebay too, there are a lot of grandma cars there (consider original buyer demographics). The newer the car, the easier it will be to find parts, and also folks who know how the systems work (example, I'm more familiar with GM cars, but the guys who worked on the early '60s ones that had 4GC carbs and hydramatic transmissions are getting scarce. The newer cars had better transmissions for sure, and arguably better carburetors. The early '70s ones are more likely to have (better) disc brakes, variable-ratio power steering, etc.)

(I think I'd be looking for a mid -60s to '72 full-size Olds or Pontiac - also the Olds Toronado is a sleeper, for some reason they just don't bring much!)

Well, this should stimulate some discussion...

Now, having said all that, welcome to the hobby and good luck whatever you do!

(also) Doug

Doug and JMAV,

Thanks for the replies. I just had no clue where to turn and ask questions since I know noone who restores cars around here. I know there probably are people but noone I kow.

Thanks again,

Doug

I am thinking it would be to big of a project for the first timer!! I just felt it would be a cheap car to buy and I could at least try things to it and if it didn't come out, I wouldn't be out that much money on the purchase price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doug and JMAV,

Thanks for the replies. I just had no clue where to turn and ask questions since I know noone who restores cars around here. I know there probably are people but noone I kow.

Thanks again,

Doug

I am thinking it would be to big of a project for the first timer!! I just felt it would be a cheap car to buy and I could at least try things to it and if it didn't come out, I wouldn't be out that much money on the purchase price. </div></div>

Sure thing. Bodywork/rust repair / painting is the most expensive thing that can be done on a car... the ideal situation is to find one that looks great but has bad mechanicals - most of that you can do yourself, do a large degree, with ordinary hand tools. Hold out for something solid - you won't save anything by getting in cheap at the beginning! Have fun!