What kind of Rockne do I have?

I have no experience in classic cars, so bear with me! My husband and I bought a building with a ton of junk and some hidden treasures! Attached is a picture of one treasure, but we know nothing about it other than what we've found googling. It says Rockne on the front and appears to be a 2-door coupe without rumble-seats made in South Bend. There are numbers 41-Q-1 27 just under the hood on the drivers side attached to the fire wall. I haven't written down the engine numbers or any other numbers yet, but can get them as needed.

My questions are:

What is this exactly? Year, model, etc...

What would it be worth to a classic car person if we were to sell it?

How do we go about selling something like this without getting taken because of our lack of knowledge.

Just the fact that only 38,000 were ever made makes me understand it can be rather rare. Plus in all my googling I haven't found a picture of a restored coup. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. What other info do you need from me?

Thanks,

Lesli

post-47906-143137904859_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_studeboy

What a neat find. You have a Rockne 75 regular coupe from 1932. The number you quoted is the body number. The actual serial number was attached to the left frame rail by the front wheel on a metal plate. The value depends a lot on how complete the car is. Are the missing front fenders and bumpers in your building?? The good news is the engine is the same as was used in later studebakers. But body parts are almost irreplacible. I expect the car is worth about $1500 as is tops but I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Lesli,

Larry Tholen is the Treasurer of The Antique Studebaker Club and is compiling a roster of known Rocknes. He has located a little over fifty extant models, some perfect, some not so good. I have a 1933 Model 10 four door standard that is totally original.

I read somewhere there are an estimated ninety still left but no indication of condition.

Unfortunately for us their value on the market is not great, though it deserves to be. Time will change that.

One exception would be the 32 Model 65 or 33 Model 10 convertible sedan, of which there are no known survivors.

I suggest you contact Larry, who can assist you in joining us or finding a reasonable price for your disposal.

Ltholen@cox.net

Brad Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

Restoring this car would be a daunting task. Getting a title for it without a serial number may be even more daunting. To sell it, as is, without a title, and without knowing exactly who needs exactly what you have (and there's probably someone out there), your not going to get much.

If you just want it gone, put it on ebay with a $50 opening bid and no reserve or advertise it in the Antique Studebaker Review for $995. ASR editor rtq11@aol.com buyer responsible for prompt pickup and all shipping.

If you have the time and interest you can dissassemble it and advertise parts in ASR with "make an offer". Or put each part on ebay with a $25 opening bid and no reserve. Someone somewhere needs the tailight, grill, dash, gages, windshield frame, etc. even the frame. When you're left with nothing that will draw a bid, contact anyone who purchased something and ask if they will take what's left for free. Trash nothing. It may be worthless but too valuable to throw away.