1956 Dodge Coronet....Please Help!

I've got a wonderful 1956 Dodge Coronet in my garage but unfortunatly the transmission is totally shot. For some reason I called the local trasmission places here in San Francisco and was more or less laughed at. Can anyone please tell me where I could find someone to service this classic, or any advice on how to proceed. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.<P>Thanks,<P>Jared<BR>jared_stive@yahoo.com

I assume that the car in question is an automatic. So far the only car I have intimate knowledge of with an automatic is a 2001, so I have not worried too much about repair and feeding of the beasts.<P>The <a href="http://clubs.hemmings.com/ccpc/index.html">California Chrysler Products Club (CCPC)</a> is very active in the Bay Area. Members have cars of all ages, but there seem to be a lot of mid-fiftys to mid-sixties cars in the club. On their web site there are references to local mechanics and other trade people that club members have had good luck with. I would start my search for a transmission place there.<P>By the way, the next CCPC monthly meeting is this coming Tuesday evening at 7:30 in Newark. If Jared would like to know where, I can forward the host's address.