Help with choosing the best paint.

Thom

I am ready to paint my 1938 Dodge 4 door sedan (a frame off restoration project) and need some advice on which paint to use. I am restoring the car to original, but will use as a driver to meets, cruise-in, and the like. I want a paint that will last and resist chipping. The car will be painted maroon. Some people have suggested using base coat-clear coat. While others have suggested acrylic enamel, telling me that the clear-coat will not look original, but more like a rod. Still others suggest using a 1-step urethane. I have recently seen a 54 GMC truck finished with an acrylic enamel and thought that would look the most original from factory, but my painter wants me to use base coat- with 4 coats of clear. Anyone have suggestions or experience with any of these pro or con? Thanks for any help!

Guest DodgeKCL

I agree. I've purchased the paint for my '35 KCL and I bought RM acrylic enamel with hardener in a solid color, no metallic. The reason your painter wants to put on base/clear is because the runs and orange peel in the base coat can be covered and hidden by his 4 coats of clear. Base/clear made everybody a 'professional' painter. But the enamels still need a skilled touch to get them on without runs,orange peel and dry areas. However the appearance of the enamels will be very close to the original solid color lacquers used in '38 and I think well worth the effort.

My 38 was painted about 2 years ago, I went with a modern colour simply because I did not like any of the originals (and I don't think there is any right or wrong on colour choice its just what you want and are happy with) They did not clear coat and it looks great. I agree that to have paint that looks inches thick and sooooooo glossy on an otherwise standard car will look odd. These cars are not easy to paint, they are very big, tall and with rounded panels are a challenge to lay the paint down evenly. Check that your painter confident of a good job no matter what system you choose.

Rgds Dave

post-41727-143137903783_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all for your input. From reading other forum discussions I understand that Acrylic enamel will fade quickly and is hard to achieve a quality shine. However, Acrylic urethane is harder, easier to spray, and will shine up nice. Is that in agreement or just a preference by some painters?

Dave, your 38 really looks nice. What kind of paint did you use?

Guest DodgeKCL

We don't store our antiques outside and use them 24/7/365. At least I hope you don't. I have 40 year old standard enamel on a car that I've had for 21 years and I can't see any fading in it. A couple of days ago someone in the States (Ohio I think)on E-bay was selling photos of my car in the '33 Plymouth' area. The photo that was for sale was taken in the middle 80s in Toronto. The green paint still looks exactly the same to-day. I put 2 or 3 coats of Liquid Glass on it a year and that's it. It will be at a car show this weekend and will sit in the summer sun for 8 hours again but I'm unable to see any color fading. And no paint oxide comes off on my polishing cloths. Unless you intend to store your '38 outside in all weathers all year round I can't see that you'll live long enough to see the paint fade. Many people who see our car at shows believe the paint was put on in the last few years instead of being 40 odd years old. You can see a photo of our car at the site 'Plymouth the First Decade' under 'PC sedan'. Just remember that the green paint and black paints are hardware bought house paints. (Makes you just want to put on a good quality enamel house paint?) I can't see acrylic enamels lasting any different. In fact for the $200 I paid for a gallon of RM solid blue (T.Eaton Co. commercial blue) for the KCL I would think it will last forever if the '33 Plymouth is any indication.

Hi Thom, as I understand it the paint is a two pot enamel (not being a painter I assume that is correct). The colour is a BMW colour, Fjiord Blue. I wanted a subdued colour as the car is so big that a strong colour can be too much, I also chose a colour that would contrast with the chrome, and finally had to match the colours of the interior. At the risk of being beaten up by the purists I have not gone the "true original" way.... but am happy with what I have.