1913 Buick Steering

Guest dnoz

I have a 1913 Buick model 25. The steering has too much play. The gearbox is marked C-I-C-R Mfg and JCW, Saginaw, MI. It appears to have model number 91976. The brass steering column also houses spark and throttle control which come out of the front of the box. Does anyone have any knowledge, blow up photos or manuals that show how to remove this box for overhaul. Its not a Jacox. I'd appreciate any help.

David Noznesky

dnoznesky@aol.com

David,

My 1913 model 31 is a larger unit, but I am sure they work the same. There are two brass pieces inside that receive the worm gear. As far as I know, they cannot be replaced. If you do remove them to inspect them, be sure to put them back in the same direction. Otherwise, your car may turn the wrong way.

At the bottom of the steering column there is a large nut that can be adjusted to remove the play, but if the gear is worn, you may have to find another one.

I suggest that you use molly-grease rather than gear oil to lubricate these gears. It won't leak out like oil does.

Mark Shaw

Mark

Thank you very much for responding and this is helpful. At the bottom of the brass input column, there is a large nut the column goes through and into the gearbox. Do I understand that this large nut does take up some play? Everything else is tight out of the box and I've made no adjustments - can't find anything to tighten anyway. I'd obviously rather not remove the column if I can avoid it. The old gal is my grandfather's first new car and its stayed in the family. Except for some minor preservation, it was last "restroed" in the early forties. Anyway, thanks again and anything else you can suggest I appreciate.

David Noznesky

dnoznesky@aol.com